Pirates victorious in home opener

The woman's volleyball team defeated in-state rival, Princeton, 3-1, on Tuesday night, winning their first game home game of the season in Walsh Gymnasium, putting their record at 3-4.

The Pirates opened the match with a 15-8 lead and eventually took the set 25-13.

In the second set, the Hall rallied from being down eight points at match point, knotting the score at 24 before losing the set 28-26.

The Pirates took the next two sets, both by a score of 25-18, knocking off the Tigers in four sets, 3-1.

"Playing at home is great. This is our first time we got to play at home," head coach Kris Zeiter said. "It's so relaxing to finally be here and get to play in front of our fans, and there was an amazing turnout today."

Junior Meghan Matusiak led the way offensively with 19 kills, while senior Sarah Osmun recorded 12 and sophomore Hannah Hugeback tallied 11.

Sophomore Olivia Trudeau led the team with 51 assists and a career-best five aces.

Defensively, five Pirates recorded double-digit digs, led by freshman Alyssa Warren, who had 24.

"She has big shoes to fill playing Allie Matter's position, but so far I couldn't be happier with her," Zeiter said of Warren. "I thought she was going to be really good, but she's actually better than I thought she was going to be."

In the final game of the tournament, the Pirates won their first game of the tournament, sweeping Colgate 3-0 (25-22, 25-21, 27-25).

The team ended the first set on a 8-2 run, never looking back in the victory.

Osmun had a double-double with 18 kills and 11 digs, remaining third on Seton Hall's career kill leaders list, with 1,265. Murison also had a double-double, with 33 assists and 10 digs.

The Pirates finished the tournament with a 1-2 record.

The Pirates began their Saturday doubleheader by dropping their first game to Virginia Commonwealth 3-0 (25-22, 27-25, 25-17). After a close first two sets, VCU started the third set on a 14-6 run on their way to securing the win.

Offensively, Osmun tallied 18 kills and 6 digs in the defeat, while Trudeau had 32 assists.

Defensively, Warren had a stand-out game with 19 digs.

On Friday night, the Pirates took on host school and three time defending champion Penn State, losing 3-0 (25-20, 25-14, 25-20), as part of the Hampton Inn Classic. The Nittany Lions entered play as the No. 1 team in the country and on a 105 match unbeaten streak.

"We got to test our system against the best," Zeiter said about playing top ranked Penn State. "I was really happy with how it went. It was great to get to compete against them and score some points on them."

Osmun and Hugeback led the team with 7 kills each, while senior Megan Murison had a strong defensive game, recording 9 digs.

The team travels to Berkeley, California, this weekend to participate in the Hilton Garden Inn tournament. Along with a game against host school No. 10 California, the Pirates will also take on Fresno State and UC Davis.

John Valentovic can be reached at john.valentovic@student.shu.edu.