New year brings changes at the top

Several new interim administrators were added to Seton Hall this summer including an interim president, interim provost, interim vice provost and interim dean of the College of Arts &Sciences.

Gabriel A. Esteban, former Provost, became interim president on July 1, 2010.

Esteban replaced former University President Msgr. Robert Sheeran who stepped down June 30, 2010.

Esteban's position was replaced by Larry Robinson, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.

In turn, Kathleen Boozang, a member of the Seton Hall Law faculty, was appointed to the position of Vice Provost of Academic Affairs.

Joan Guetti, former chair of the department of mathematics, was appointed as interim Dean of the College of Arts &Sciences, replacing Joseph Marbach who accepted a provost position at LaSalle University in Philadelphia.

Additionally, Joyce Strawser replaced Karen Boroff as Dean of the Stillman School of Business.

"I am honored and humbled at the confidence placed in me by the Board of Regents," Esteban said of his appointment.

Many members of the Seton Hall community expressed approval with Esteban's appointment.

"I have friends who are members of the faculty and they are thrilled with his appointment and speak very highly of him so I am excited to see what he will do take Seton Hall to the next level," said Ann Szipszky, Parking Services manager and a former Seton Hall student, in an e-mail.

Members of the student body are also excited about Esteban's appointment.

"I think that it was a wise decision to appoint Esteban as interim president," said Melissa Boege, president of the Student Government Association, in an e-mail. "As Provost, he's obviously very aware of Seton Hall's needs and challenges."

Boege expressed excitement about working with the other interim administrators, as well.

"We feel that it will be a very positive experience to work with the interim leaders at Seton Hall, and we think that they will have a very positive impact on our community," Boege said.

Guetti is dedicated to her new role at the University.

"I hope to be here as long as it takes to find a new dean who will be expected to demonstrate the talents and energy necessary to lead a diverse and vibrant College of Arts &Sciences," Guetti said.

However, she plans on returning to what she says is her "first love – teaching."

The presidential search process is continuing despite Esteban's interim appointment.

According to an online release, the Board of Regents' review of the search process will "determine the next steps toward identifying a permanent leader for Seton Hall," but also labeled the process as "ongoing."

Members of the Seton Hall community welcome the changes and feel the University is already improving.

"I believe we are incredibly lucky to have people like Dr. Esteban, Dr. Robinson, Dr. Guetti and Dr. Strawser in the positions they now occupy," said Mary Balkun, Chair of the English department. "Because they were already at the University, they understand the issues, so I believe the transitions will be relatively seamless. All four also bring a great deal of energy and intelligence to their positions, and they will not be satisfied with the status quo. We are already seeing changes for the better, such as the largest freshmen class since the early 1980s."

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.

Jessica Sutcliffe can be reached at jessica.sutcliffe@student.shu.edu.