Charter Day to present service awards

The Bishop Bernard J. McQuaid Medal, as well as the Servant Leader Scholarship award, will be presented at the annual Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Charter Day Convocation on April 21 at 4 p.m. in Jubilee Hall Auditorium.

The convocation will also feature a keynote address, titled "There and Back," by Anthony DePalma, writer in residence in the Department of Communication, according to a university e-mail.

Charter Day began on March 8, 1861, in order to celebrate Seton Hall's receipt of a charter from New Jersey to become a university, according to Kirk Rawn, who helped organize the event's logistics, and Alan Delozier, university archivist.

The day allows the Seton Hall community to "reflect" on the university's history, as well as to "renew" the commitment to the university's purpose, according to a Web site about the event.

The convocation will begin with the address by DePalma, according to Rawn.

"He was chosen to speak on Charter Day because he will be able to provide his perspective of the university as a student in the 1970s, as well as his impressions of Seton Hall today now that he has returned as a member of the faculty," Rawn said.

The Bishop Bernard J. McQuaid medal, named after Seton Hall's first president, will be awarded at the convocation.

According to Rawn, this award recognizes Seton Hall employees for their distinguished service and their "wholehearted commitment to the university's mission."

The McQuaid Medal began in 1964. It is presented to "members of the University faculty, staff and administration who render outstanding service to the institution," according to a Web site about Charter Day.

The Seton Hall community submits their nominations for the McQuaid medal to the McQuaid Medal committee. That committee then submits their recommendations to the president of the university who selects the recipient.

The nominees for the medal must meet three criteria, as outlined by a Web site regarding the McQuaid Medal.

The nominee must have "distinguished service," such as outstanding teaching or research, "commitment to and affection for Seton Hall University as a community" and full-time employment for at least 20 continuous years, according to the Web site.

Past McQuaid medal recipients include George P. Brown, associate professor of history, and Terry De Almeida, assistant dean for administration and finance.

The Servant Leader Scholarship award is also given during the convocation.

Students apply each year for the scholarship and are then selected by the Center for Vocation and Student Leadership, according to David Foster, director of the Center for Vocation and Student Leadership.

According to an e-mail sent by Seton Hall University regarding Charter Day, the Servant Leader Scholarship is "awarded to students who exemplify leadership for the common good."

The program involves about 40 students, according to Foster.
"The purpose of the program is twofold. First, to attract Seton Hall students who have shown promise as servant leaders during high school, and second, to provide a development opportunity for them, so that they can be examples to the rest of us regarding servant leadership," Foster said.

The scholarship totals about $2,400, according to Foster and a Web site regarding the award.

Ten new students are accepted into the program each year, which also provides them with opportunities to develop themselves as student leaders.

"The Charter Day Convocation enjoys a good turnout. The entire university community is welcome," Rawn said.

Jessica Sutcliffe can be reached at jessica.sutcliffe@student.shu.edu.