Offense fails again for women

The Pirates lost their fifth straight game as they were defeated by Louisville last night at Walsh Gymnasium, 72-49. This set the team to a record of 1-13 in the Big East.

Seton Hall's leading three-point shooter, junior Ebonie Williams, and freshman Terry Green led the scoring for the Pirates. They added 16 and 12 points, respectively.

Louisville's Monique Reid achieved the only double-double of the game, posting 28 points and 15 rebounds. Becky Burke also came through offensively with 16 points for the visitors.

The Pirates shot 32.2 percent from the field compared to 53.6 percent by the Cardinals.

"When you're missing shots and they're making shots, you need to get a board or get a shot," Mangina said. "This is kind of the story we've had for a couple games now."

Terry Green hit a timely three-pointer with seven seconds left in the first half. The Hall was down 30-24 at the break.

Burke scored from beyond the arc a little over three minutes into the second half, but Williams responded in the same fashion. Her triple brought the Pirates within five.

At the 12:51 mark, Burke sank another three which extended the Cardinal lead to 12.
A free throw from Reid brought the score to 51-36. After Burke's third triple, the Pirates were unable to come closer than 14 points the rest of the game.

The Pirates were also defeated by Pittsburgh at the Petersen Events Center on Saturday, 78-57.

Williams and Terry Green led the scoring for the Hall with 14 points each.

Five Panthers scored in double figures, including Taneisha Harrison who put up 20.

Pitt scored the first 12 points of the game, all of which went unanswered for four minutes. Terry Green hit a free throw at the 16` minute mark to get the Pirates on the board.

"It doesn't usually take us that long to get offense," Terry Green said. "They just came out strong and they were playing good defense."

Williams answered with a three-pointer and a long field goal to bring the Pirates within six.

But Harrison and Brittaney Thomas responded with a pair of twos to extend the Panther lead to 10.

However, the Pirates would fight back.

Sophomore Whitney Wood hit a three which preceded a basket from senior Ashley Booker to cut the deficit down. A three-point play from Williams brought the score to 27-22 with 4:28 remaining in the first half.

At about the two minute mark, Thomas led Pitt to another 10-point lead with a deep field goal. Sophomore Kandice Green ended the half with a layup as the Pirates were down 34-26 at the break.

In the second half, the Pirates came within six points of the Panthers three times. One such instance was when Williams notched her second three-pointer of the game in the opening minutes of the half.

But Harrison answered quickly for the Panthers again with a long shot that once again brought their lead to 10.

A short bank shot from senior Nicole Emery brought the Hall within seven, but Pitt put up two more fast shots to maintain a 54-43 advantage with about 13 minutes remaining. Another Harrison three-pointer and baskets from Thomas and Scott finished off an 11-0 run.

Seton Hall's last attempt at a comeback came by way of consecutive triples from Terry Green, cutting the deficit to 13. To respond, Pitt scored six unanswered points to which put away the Pirates.

The Pirates play Notre Dame at 2 p.m. this Saturday at Walsh Gymnasium.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at Gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.