Panthers roll over Pirates

The Seton Hall Pirates lost their third straight game, falling on the road to the No. 22 University of Pittsburgh Panthers, 83-58, on Sunday.

The Hall is now 0-5 on the road in conference play.

Senior Eugene Harvey led the Hall with just 12 points.

Junior Jeremy Hazell had just two points in the game. He was 1-7 from the floor, 0-5 from beyond the arc.

Junior Jamel Jackson had 11 points for the Hall, going 3-7 from beyond the arc.

For the Panthers, their biggest contributor came off the bench, in junior Gilbert Brown. He had 23 points in the win.

Pitt had four of their five starters in double figures.

Senior Jermaine Dixon had 15. Junior Brad Wanamaker tallied 13 points to go with six rebounds. Sophomore Ashton Gibbs had 11 points

Junior center Gary McGhee had 12 points and 11 rebounds to tally the lone double-double in the game. On defense, he held Pirate juniors Herb Pope and Jeff Robinson to just 15 points and 12 rebounds combined.

The Hall was down 13 points in the final minutes of the first half until they went on a 6-0 run to cut the Panther lead to seven at the half.

In the second half, sophomore Robert Mitchell, who finished with 11 points, hit an apparent three-pointer, however the officials reviewed the play and reversed their call to a long two-pointer. On the Panthers ensuing possession, Wanamaker hit a long three-pointer as the shot clock was expiring and the Panthers never looked back.

Though the teams were not effected by the approximate two feet of snow on the ground, the game was due to the fact that official Evon Burroughs was unable to officiate the game due to the weather.

Instead, Mike Kitts and James Breeding worked the game as a two-man crew.

In the game, they called four technical fouls.

In the first half, Hazell and Dixon were called for technical fouls for mouthing off to each other.
In the second half, with Pope at the foul line shooting two shots, head coach Bobby Gonzalez was given a technical for arguing with the officials.

Just a few minutes later, assistant coach Scott Adubato was issued a technical for arguing as well.

The Pirates were without senior guard Keon Lawrence who remained in South Orange for personal reasons.

Seton Hall returns to action on Thursday when Notre Dame heads to the Prudential Center.

Tip off is set for 7 p.m.

For a complete recap of this game, check out Thursday's edition of The Setonian.

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.