Seton Hall freshman studies mentor named NAACP Educator of the Year
The Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett has been a faculty member for 34 years. Photo courtesy of The Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett
Freshman mentor and Adjunct Professor in Africana Studies, Multicultural Studies and Religious Studies Departments, Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett recently was awarded a NAACP Educator of the Year Award.
Pritchett graduated from Delaware State University, and has been an educator for more than 40 years. He has been a professor at Seton Hall for 34 years.
"Great teachers during my undergrad career," inspired him to become an educator, Pritchett said.
Pritchett said his motivation as a teacher is to expand his students' horizons and open their eyes to peripheral course information.
He said he hopes that through teaching he can make the world a better place.
"I love equipping and empowering others," Pritchett said.
Pritchett described his recent award as NAACP Educator of the Year as "humbling." He has been a member of the organization since his teen years.
One member of the organization from each county receives this award after being nominated by other members.
In addition to this recent award, Pritchett has been awarded the New Jersey Association of Black Educators "Black Educator of the Year Award," the Association for the Study of Afro American Life And History: "Frederick Douglas – Sojourner Truth Award," Jersey City Library "Paul Robeson Award," New Jersey Educational Opportunity Program "Educational Champion Award," and numerous "Man of the Year" awards, some of which were from various Seton Hall University student clubs.
At Seton Hall, Pritchett has received a McQuaid Medal for Distinguished Service, one of the highest honors at the University.
He has also received a SHU Human Relations Citation and the Faculty Pirate Pride Award.
Outside of the classroom, Pritchett serves as Minister of Praise and Worship at Union Baptist Church with his wife Barbara Pritchett in Morristown, New Jersey.
He is a certified Dean for Christian Leadership Schools by the National Baptist Convention USA Inc. Pritchett is also a faculty member at Northern Baptist School of Religion.
A member of the NAACP, ACTSO, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, the Peoples Organization for Progress, and the New Black Panther Party, Pritchett is actively involved in these organizations outside his work as well.
Pritchett was founding President of the Morris County Child Care Council, an organization that facilitated the growth of ten childcare centers in the area.
Pritchett has played a key role in developing programs that have made Seton Hall more receptive to diversified populations.
He also enjoys working with students out of the classroom and growing their leadership capacity.
Pritchett's goal is to make his students and all of those around him more proactive in a world where we tend to "consume more than we produce," Pritchett said.
Erin Williams can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Mobley, Pirates handle the Peacocks
- Pirates fail to shock Wichita State, handed first loss
- Seton Hall women’s team wins crucial non-conference game
- Best Albums of 2014
- Seton Hall dominates Rutgers, stay undefeated
- SHU WBB keeps rolling, extends win streak to six
- Volleyball's historic season comes to an end after NCAA Tournament loss
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists