Post Classifieds

Seton Hall freshman studies mentor named NAACP Educator of the Year

By Erin Williams
On September 22, 2011

• The Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett has been a faculty member for 34 years. Photo courtesy of The Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett

Freshman mentor and Adjunct Professor in Africana Studies, Multicultural Studies and Religious Studies Departments, Rev. Dr. Forrest Pritchett recently was awarded a NAACP Educator of the Year Award.

Pritchett graduated from Delaware State University, and has been an educator for more than 40 years. He has been a professor at Seton Hall for 34 years.

"Great teachers during my undergrad career," inspired him to become an educator, Pritchett said.

Pritchett said his motivation as a teacher is to expand his students' horizons and open their eyes to peripheral course information.

He said he hopes that through teaching he can make the world a better place.

"I love equipping and empowering others," Pritchett said.

Pritchett described his recent award as NAACP Educator of the Year as "humbling." He has been a member of the organization since his teen years.

One member of the organization from each county receives this award after being nominated by other members.

In addition to this recent award, Pritchett has been awarded the New Jersey Association of Black Educators "Black Educator of the Year Award," the Association for the Study of Afro American Life And History: "Frederick Douglas – Sojourner Truth Award," Jersey City Library "Paul Robeson Award," New Jersey Educational Opportunity Program "Educational Champion Award," and numerous "Man of the Year" awards, some of which were from various Seton Hall University student clubs.

At Seton Hall, Pritchett has received a McQuaid Medal for Distinguished Service, one of the highest honors at the University.

He has also received a SHU Human Relations Citation and the Faculty Pirate Pride Award.

Outside of the classroom, Pritchett serves as Minister of Praise and Worship at Union Baptist Church with his wife Barbara Pritchett in Morristown, New Jersey.

He is a certified Dean for Christian Leadership Schools by the National Baptist Convention USA Inc. Pritchett is also a faculty member at Northern Baptist School of Religion.

A member of the NAACP, ACTSO, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, the Peoples Organization for Progress, and the New Black Panther Party, Pritchett is actively involved in these organizations outside his work as well.

Pritchett was founding President of the Morris County Child Care Council, an organization that facilitated the growth of ten childcare centers in the area.

Pritchett has played a key role in developing programs that have made Seton Hall more receptive to diversified populations.

He also enjoys working with students out of the classroom and growing their leadership capacity.

Pritchett's goal is to make his students and all of those around him more proactive in a world where we tend to "consume more than we produce," Pritchett said.

Erin Williams can be reached at erin.williams@student.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded