Faculty concerned about commencement speaker
Mary Eberstadt. eppc.org
A choice in the commencement program has sparked controversy and faculty members are speaking up.
Some have reached out to colleagues about protesting the chosen speaker, Mary Eberstadt.
An email was sent out to the different colleges through College of Arts and Sciences Chair Pro Tem Dr. Marianne Lloyd to determine if other faculty shared the same reservations about topics Eberstadt might discuss at the ceremony.
The email was signed by Dr. Roseanne Mirabella, Dr. Mary Balkan, Dr. Janine Buckner, Dr. Williamjames Hoffer, Dr. Cecilia Marzabadi and Dr. Judith Stark.
According to the chairwoman of the department of political science and public affairs, Dr. Roseanne Mirabella, some faculty members feel that beliefs expressed in articles by Eberstadt are not in alignment with the values of Seton Hall as a Catholic university.
One concern is that Eberstadt "takes stances against women who work," Mirabella said.
In an article by Eberstadt titled "The Child-Fat Problem," she "lays blame for obesity in children to their working mothers," Mirabella said. "She refers to working mothers as 'absent parents.'"
Mirabella said this is a concern because "more than 50 percent of the graduates on commencement day will be women, many of whom will at one point in their lives be working mothers."
In an article titled "The Family: Discovering the Obvious," Eberstadt discusses a concept she calls the "natural family." Mirabella said one concern is that this topic might be offensive to families at the ceremony because "many of the parents in our audience are single parents who sacrificed so much to send their children to Seton Hall, or are single parents themselves who worked hard to get their degrees."
According to Mirabella, the Provost will attend a faculty senate meeting Friday to discuss the Commencement Speaker.
Senior associate Provost Dr. Joan Guetti was unavailable for comment by press time.
Mary Marshall can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- WBB bests Penn State behind Didi Simmons
- Strong start to second half helps Seton Hall MBB hold off Nevada in Paradise Jam
- Nobel laureate praises and criticizes U.S. ebola aid
- 7 things we are thankful for
- Alpha Chi Rho officially recognized
- Millennials not cheap, just unemployed
- Student group work essential for professional education
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge