Faculty concerned about commencement speaker
Mary Eberstadt. eppc.org
A choice in the commencement program has sparked controversy and faculty members are speaking up.
Some have reached out to colleagues about protesting the chosen speaker, Mary Eberstadt.
An email was sent out to the different colleges through College of Arts and Sciences Chair Pro Tem Dr. Marianne Lloyd to determine if other faculty shared the same reservations about topics Eberstadt might discuss at the ceremony.
The email was signed by Dr. Roseanne Mirabella, Dr. Mary Balkan, Dr. Janine Buckner, Dr. Williamjames Hoffer, Dr. Cecilia Marzabadi and Dr. Judith Stark.
According to the chairwoman of the department of political science and public affairs, Dr. Roseanne Mirabella, some faculty members feel that beliefs expressed in articles by Eberstadt are not in alignment with the values of Seton Hall as a Catholic university.
One concern is that Eberstadt "takes stances against women who work," Mirabella said.
In an article by Eberstadt titled "The Child-Fat Problem," she "lays blame for obesity in children to their working mothers," Mirabella said. "She refers to working mothers as 'absent parents.'"
Mirabella said this is a concern because "more than 50 percent of the graduates on commencement day will be women, many of whom will at one point in their lives be working mothers."
In an article titled "The Family: Discovering the Obvious," Eberstadt discusses a concept she calls the "natural family." Mirabella said one concern is that this topic might be offensive to families at the ceremony because "many of the parents in our audience are single parents who sacrificed so much to send their children to Seton Hall, or are single parents themselves who worked hard to get their degrees."
According to Mirabella, the Provost will attend a faculty senate meeting Friday to discuss the Commencement Speaker.
Senior associate Provost Dr. Joan Guetti was unavailable for comment by press time.
Mary Marshall can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses