Faculty concerned about commencement speaker
Mary Eberstadt. eppc.org
A choice in the commencement program has sparked controversy and faculty members are speaking up.
Some have reached out to colleagues about protesting the chosen speaker, Mary Eberstadt.
An email was sent out to the different colleges through College of Arts and Sciences Chair Pro Tem Dr. Marianne Lloyd to determine if other faculty shared the same reservations about topics Eberstadt might discuss at the ceremony.
The email was signed by Dr. Roseanne Mirabella, Dr. Mary Balkan, Dr. Janine Buckner, Dr. Williamjames Hoffer, Dr. Cecilia Marzabadi and Dr. Judith Stark.
According to the chairwoman of the department of political science and public affairs, Dr. Roseanne Mirabella, some faculty members feel that beliefs expressed in articles by Eberstadt are not in alignment with the values of Seton Hall as a Catholic university.
One concern is that Eberstadt "takes stances against women who work," Mirabella said.
In an article by Eberstadt titled "The Child-Fat Problem," she "lays blame for obesity in children to their working mothers," Mirabella said. "She refers to working mothers as 'absent parents.'"
Mirabella said this is a concern because "more than 50 percent of the graduates on commencement day will be women, many of whom will at one point in their lives be working mothers."
In an article titled "The Family: Discovering the Obvious," Eberstadt discusses a concept she calls the "natural family." Mirabella said one concern is that this topic might be offensive to families at the ceremony because "many of the parents in our audience are single parents who sacrificed so much to send their children to Seton Hall, or are single parents themselves who worked hard to get their degrees."
According to Mirabella, the Provost will attend a faculty senate meeting Friday to discuss the Commencement Speaker.
Senior associate Provost Dr. Joan Guetti was unavailable for comment by press time.
Mary Marshall can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Seton Hall softball splits doubleheader with Providence
- Baseball wins 8th straight
- McCarthy wins again as baseball ousts Xavier
- Tennis wins all nine matches vs. Monmouth
- Weigel, Prendergast lead SHU baseball to victory
- Ka-Deidre Simmons named Honorable Mention All-American
- Seton Hall tennis fights back, gets vital win over Providence
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now