Post Classifieds

'Notehall' website allows students to exchange course materials for a small price

By Ethan Arnowitz
On February 29, 2012

Four college graduates have started a website that focuses on academic success through sharing course materials in an online mar­ketplace.

The website, www.notehall.com, is a place where students can purchase credits to access course notes and study guides posted by other students.

Students who post study mate­rials are paid by the website for their contribution, and while the site has potential for illegitimacy, it is backed by Chegg, the popu­lar online source for new and used textbooks.

In order to access material on the site, students must first regis­ter and then purchase credits using the site's virtual currency system, according to Notehall.com.

The website said over 50 col­leges and universities are now participating in the site, and Seton Hall students have said that they would consider participating in order to receive additional help in their courses.

"Personally I would use the site to have another study resource in my hands," said junior diplomacy major Mery Arcila. "Although I am a strong believer that you learn by actually writing down some­thing and actively taking notes in class yourself, it will help you get a higher grade."

Arcila said the site would be a great resource for students both selling and purchasing study ma­terials.

"Comparing notes to someone else is very helpful because they may have gotten something from the lecture you missed," Arcila said.

According to some professors at the Hall, using the site to access materials in order to more fully understand a subject is supported.

Professor Yui Suzuki of the Whitehead School of Diplomacy department said he would allow students to use the site as long as they use it properly.

"It really depends on how stu­dents use it," Suzuki said. "Ide­ally, students can compare their notes to deepen their understand­ing."

However, Suzuki is worried that a site which allows students to upload all of a courses notes and study guides could prevent stu­dents from coming to class.

"Worst case, students just read the website without coming to class," Suzuki said. "I believe it is the instructor's responsibility that this kind of website will not be a way to escape from classes."

While many students say they would support the website, others believe purchasing notes would be a waste of money.

"I think it's an interesting idea, but is basically useless," said ju­nior Aaron Franke. "If you wanted the notes, you could always ask a classmate or friend."

Franke feels that simply reading notes is not a productive way to learn course material, and would not be worth the money.

"I feel like some students who have money to throw away will use the site," Franke said. "I don't think it's feasible for the majority of college students to spend mon­ey buying notes when many of us are already deep in debt."

Some agree with Franke in that they believe others may find the site helpful, but that it comes at a price that many students will not be willing to pay.

"I already pay tuition to go to class, so I wouldn't pay extra for someone's notes," said junior el­ementary and special education major, Moira Kelly. "However, I think there are a number of stu­dents who would use this site… it's similar to getting a tutor, you're paying someone to help you."

Students can register for the site at www.notehall.com.

Ethan Arnowitz can be reached at ethan.arnowitz@student.shu

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

Men's Basketball: Who has been the most impressive player for Seton Hall so far?

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded