New 'Ultimate Fighter' season comes out swinging
The season premiere of the 18th installment of "The Ultimate Fighter," or "TUF," left viewers wanting more.
"TUF" is a reality competition series following mixed martial artists living together as they fight in two tournaments. This season one tournament will be for bantamweight men while the other is for bantamweight women, making it the first time the show has featured females. The contestants are divided into two teams, and each week members from opposing sides will fight. The winners advance while the losers are eliminated from the contest.
At the end there will be two winners receiving the grand prize - six-figure contracts with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The coaches for the teams are undefeated UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and No. 1 contender Miesha Tate. The series will culminate with the two squaring off in the Octagon for Rousey's belt at UFC 168 on Dec. 28 in Las Vegas.
The opening minutes of the show were the most memorable. The producers had not told Rousey that UFC fighter Cat Zingano had been replaced as a coach. As the champion walked into the "TUF" gym, she was greeted by Tate. When she found out Tate will be the other coach, Rousey angrily stormed out of the gym.
The tension between Rousey and Tate is palpable. Their verbal exchanges are personal, and if you know anything about these two, you'd know it's real. It's always a good thing to have a rivalry between coaches because the fights mean more. But this rivalry may overshadow the season.
"For some reason fate has intertwined the two of us," Rousey said during the episode. "Me and Miesha were meant to be rivals."
Another aspect of the show is what happens when eight men and eight women share a house. In other words, this season may become another silly reality show. But the show will go as far as the fights take it. If this first episode was any indication, this season will be intense, drama-filled and enjoyable.
T.J. Brennan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Stainton Pleased with WSOC’s Chemistry, Looking for Offensive...
- Nine Invitationals fill Seton Hall Cross Country’s Fall Slate
- Auda Moving on From Seton Hall to Play for Polish Team, Edwin to Play in Italy
- Seton Hall Volleyball Releases Home Heavy 2014-Schedule
- Breaking Down the Decision: Lebron’s Return to a City in Need
- LeBron's Maturity Could Be Key Piece to Return to Cleveland
- Seton Hall Men’s Golf to Play in Six Tournaments This Fall
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit