New 'Ultimate Fighter' season comes out swinging
The season premiere of the 18th installment of "The Ultimate Fighter," or "TUF," left viewers wanting more.
"TUF" is a reality competition series following mixed martial artists living together as they fight in two tournaments. This season one tournament will be for bantamweight men while the other is for bantamweight women, making it the first time the show has featured females. The contestants are divided into two teams, and each week members from opposing sides will fight. The winners advance while the losers are eliminated from the contest.
At the end there will be two winners receiving the grand prize - six-figure contracts with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The coaches for the teams are undefeated UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and No. 1 contender Miesha Tate. The series will culminate with the two squaring off in the Octagon for Rousey's belt at UFC 168 on Dec. 28 in Las Vegas.
The opening minutes of the show were the most memorable. The producers had not told Rousey that UFC fighter Cat Zingano had been replaced as a coach. As the champion walked into the "TUF" gym, she was greeted by Tate. When she found out Tate will be the other coach, Rousey angrily stormed out of the gym.
The tension between Rousey and Tate is palpable. Their verbal exchanges are personal, and if you know anything about these two, you'd know it's real. It's always a good thing to have a rivalry between coaches because the fights mean more. But this rivalry may overshadow the season.
"For some reason fate has intertwined the two of us," Rousey said during the episode. "Me and Miesha were meant to be rivals."
Another aspect of the show is what happens when eight men and eight women share a house. In other words, this season may become another silly reality show. But the show will go as far as the fights take it. If this first episode was any indication, this season will be intense, drama-filled and enjoyable.
T.J. Brennan can be reached at email@example.com
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Mobley, Pirates handle the Peacocks
- Pirates fail to shock Wichita State, handed first loss
- Seton Hall women’s team wins crucial non-conference game
- Best Albums of 2014
- Seton Hall dominates Rutgers, stay undefeated
- SHU WBB keeps rolling, extends win streak to six
- Volleyball's historic season comes to an end after NCAA Tournament loss
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists