Post Classifieds

New 'Ultimate Fighter' season comes out swinging

By T.J. Brennen
On September 14, 2013

The season premiere of the 18th installment of "The Ultimate Fighter," or "TUF," left viewers wanting more. 

"TUF" is a reality competition series following mixed martial artists living together as they fight in two tournaments. This season one tournament will be for bantamweight men while the other is for bantamweight women, making it the first time the show has featured females. The contestants are divided into two teams, and each week members from opposing sides will fight. The winners advance while the losers are eliminated from the contest. 

At the end there will be two winners receiving the grand prize - six-figure contracts with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The coaches for the teams are undefeated UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and No. 1 contender Miesha Tate.  The series will culminate with the two squaring off in the Octagon for Rousey's belt at UFC 168 on Dec. 28 in Las Vegas.

The opening minutes of the show were the most memorable.  The producers had not told Rousey that UFC fighter Cat Zingano had been replaced as a coach. As the champion walked into the "TUF" gym, she was greeted by Tate.  When she found out Tate will be the other coach, Rousey angrily stormed out of the gym.

The tension between Rousey and Tate is palpable.  Their verbal exchanges are personal, and if you know anything about these two, you'd know it's real.  It's always a good thing to have a rivalry between coaches because the fights mean more. But this rivalry may overshadow the season.

"For some reason fate has intertwined the two of us," Rousey said during the episode. "Me and Miesha were meant to be rivals."

Another aspect of the show is what happens when eight men and eight women share a house.  In other words, this season may become another silly reality show.  But the show will go as far as the fights take it. If this first episode was any indication, this season will be intense, drama-filled and enjoyable.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded