Lulu app scores with users on campus
Want to know if he is a good guy? There's an app for that.
Lulu is a mobile application that allows women to evaluate men from the user's Facebook friend list. The app takes all the anonymous reviews submitted for a specific guy, averages them and creates a rating from 1-through-10.
In the nine months since its inception, Lulu has seen a staggering rise in popularity, reaching one in four college girls in the United States, according to New York Magazine.
Overall, Lulu has received mixed reviews.
On campus many users, such as sophomore Veronica Valencia, see the app as purely entertainment, and not something to take seriously.
"I think it is funny logging on and seeing my friends' ratings and hashtags," Valencia said. "Some are spot on and others are just funny. It's entertaining but I don't take it too seriously."
The male demographic at Seton Hall doesn't think as highly of the app. Sophomore William Schmid, who recently found out he has received ratings on the app, said it makes him uncomfortable.
"I'm a little paranoid about Lulu because I have no idea who wrote it and I can't even see what it says about me," Schmid said. "Being rated on there is a weird feeling because I don't like having that sort of stuff about me out there when I have no idea about it."
One argument made by both men and women is that if the tables were turned and an app were created for men to rate the women in their lives, it would not be seen in the same light as Lulu.
"There can definitely be a double standard in this app," sophomore Samantha Cutrone said. "A Lulu-type of app made to rate women would only receive backlash. It wouldn't be the fun app that girls love today."
Clayton Collier can be reached at clayton. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- WBB bests Penn State behind Didi Simmons
- Strong start to second half helps Seton Hall MBB hold off Nevada in Paradise Jam
- Nobel laureate praises and criticizes U.S. ebola aid
- 7 things we are thankful for
- Alpha Chi Rho officially recognized
- Millennials not cheap, just unemployed
- Student group work essential for professional education
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge