Lulu app scores with users on campus
Want to know if he is a good guy? There's an app for that.
Lulu is a mobile application that allows women to evaluate men from the user's Facebook friend list. The app takes all the anonymous reviews submitted for a specific guy, averages them and creates a rating from 1-through-10.
In the nine months since its inception, Lulu has seen a staggering rise in popularity, reaching one in four college girls in the United States, according to New York Magazine.
Overall, Lulu has received mixed reviews.
On campus many users, such as sophomore Veronica Valencia, see the app as purely entertainment, and not something to take seriously.
"I think it is funny logging on and seeing my friends' ratings and hashtags," Valencia said. "Some are spot on and others are just funny. It's entertaining but I don't take it too seriously."
The male demographic at Seton Hall doesn't think as highly of the app. Sophomore William Schmid, who recently found out he has received ratings on the app, said it makes him uncomfortable.
"I'm a little paranoid about Lulu because I have no idea who wrote it and I can't even see what it says about me," Schmid said. "Being rated on there is a weird feeling because I don't like having that sort of stuff about me out there when I have no idea about it."
One argument made by both men and women is that if the tables were turned and an app were created for men to rate the women in their lives, it would not be seen in the same light as Lulu.
"There can definitely be a double standard in this app," sophomore Samantha Cutrone said. "A Lulu-type of app made to rate women would only receive backlash. It wouldn't be the fun app that girls love today."
Clayton Collier can be reached at clayton. email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Butler blows out Seton Hall's men at Hinkle
- WBB wins in overtime
- Swimming & diving heading to UCONN
- Tennis kicks off their year with strong NJIT showing
- Men victorious over Marist while women fall short at Senior Day
- Pirates Earn Sixth Straight Win against Villanova
- Pirates bested by DePaul as the men drop second straight
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World