Post Classifieds

Campus Ministry will host viewing of ten-part 'Catholicism' series

By Lindsay Ireland
On November 1, 2012

The Campus Ministry Lounge is hosting viewings of the ten-part television series, "Catholicism" to celebrate internalization month at Seton Hall.

The Rev. Robert Barron, both face and founder of Word on Fire Catholic Ministries, is the mastermind behind this series, which received rave reviews from publications such as Canada's Salt and Light television network, America, the National Catholic Weekly and the Catholic News Service.

Inspired by Kenneth Clark's 1969 hit BBC series "Civilisation," "Catholicism" takes viewers on a virtual trip to fifty locations in sixteen countries, exploring the history and origins of Catholic art, literature, architecture, and music in churches, basilicas, and more.

"When you're talking about a 10-hour program, it would become tiresome to listen to a talking head for hours," Barron said.

Viewings of this series will take place every Wednesday and Thursday from 12:45-2 p.m. in the Campus Ministry Lounge. The last showing will be held Thursday, November 1 at 1:45 p.m.

According to the National Catholic Register, the production costs for this series were about $3 million, all raised through private donations.

The "Catholicism" production crew boasts names such as Mike Leonard, a correspondent of NBC's The Today Show and a parishioner of Chicago's Sacred Heart parish, where Barron worked for nine years. Leonard's family owns Picture Show, the film production company that helped create the "Catholicism" series.

Barron, who is well known for his avid use of social networking and modern technology to promote his message, uses what he calls "the beauty of Catholicism," and backdrops such as the Vatican and Jerusalem to visually stimulate viewers while teaching them of God's word through the art, literature, music and architecture displayed in each part of his series.

Barron says over 75 percent of Catholics today do not attend Mass on a regular basis. His "Catholicism" series was created to reach fallen-away Catholics who no longer have a role in their church's community and restore faith lost.

"The Catholic story is being told by the wrong people in the wrong way. We need to tell our own story. We need to get the message out to draw people in," Barron said.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded