Post Classifieds

Consider giving to DOVE, children in Haiti

As the Bell Told

By Erin Bell
On February 29, 2012

I've written frequently about the trip to Haiti I took last year with the Division of Volunteer Ef­forts because it still reso­nates daily in my life. This week is no excep­tion.

Twice every year, DOVE takes a group of Seton Hall students to the Maison Fortune orphanage in the rural town of Hinche, Haiti. During the week in January 2011 that I spent there, my group immersed our­selves in spending time with the kids at Maison Fortune. Sadly, tragedy hit these smart and tal­ented children last summer.

As the other SHU travelers and I were sadly informed, on July 7, 2011, a 16-year-old boy named Djoceus Noël from Maison For­tune drowned in the river near the orphanage. He and his broth­ers (including his twin, Djocenat) and a few other boys from the or­phanage had asked permission to travel to Djoceus' grandparents' house to help prepare the land for planting. On the way back to the orphanage, the boys took a short­cut across the river. The current was stronger than anticipated, and Djoceus was swept under. The other boys tried to save him, but when they could not find him in the muddy water, they ran back to the orphanage for help. A search party was organized, but by night­fall Djoceus was not found. The group resumed the search the next day to no avail.

I remember meeting Djoceus. He was a friendly, funny young man – he and Djocenat were a reg­ular pair of comedians, and they were inseparable. I can't imagine the pain the other members of the Maison Fortune community must feel at his absence every day, es­pecially his twin brother. The memory of Djoceus, like the other boys and girls I met at Mai­son Fortune, stays with me, and the relationships I made with the children are constant reminders of how blessed I am to have been given a chance to go and learn from the people of Haiti.

In honor of Djoceus, DOVE is working to raise money to build and maintain a chicken coop at that will provide 1,000 chickens for the orphanage. This self-sus­taining chicken coop will provide the children at Maison Fortune (over 200 in all) with a source of protein that they rarely get.

I urge every reader to consider donating to this worthy cause. Checks can be made to DOVE. For more information, contact stu­dent Nick Breza, who is helping to spearhead the project, at nicholas.breza@student.shu.edu, or stop by the DOVE office in the basement of Boland Hall.

Erin Bell is a senior journalism major from Burlington, N.J. She can be reached at erin.bell@stu­dent.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

Men's Basketball: Who has been the most impressive player for Seton Hall so far?

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded