Post Classifieds

University transportation clearly showing worth

By The Collective Opinion of The Setonian's Editorial Board
On November 16, 2011

When the University implemented new transpor­tation measures in the beginning of the semester, the expectation was that they were just empty promises. Safety has always been an issue, and the Univer­sity has struggled to implement programs that work in the long haul. However, since the initiation of the SHU Safe Ride and University Patrol, crime has been significantly more controlled, and these pro­grams appear to be serving their purpose - deterring crime off-campus, providing a safer environment for students.

However, as reported this week, students still re­main unhappy and are, in several ways perhaps, tak­ing advantage of these programs because they sim­ply misunderstand them. Public Safety reported a student calling for a ride from Rite Aid, but was later told that the Safe Ride did not travel down South Orange Avenue. She said she felt threatened, which prompted the University to send SOPD along with an escort. SOPD found no threat. Stu­dents must not abuse the privileges that Public Safety provides, and that, while these programs are meant to cater to students and provide addi­tional feelings of safety, they are not meant to be abused, especially when it involves police.

While it may be frustrating that the Safe Ride does not stop on South Orange Avenue because of des­ignated SHUFly stops, these hurdles are easily ma­neuverable, and instead of finding what is wrong or frustrating about a program, we should be admiring the fact that the Safe Ride has a huge spike in rid­ership compared to the CASE Van last year, illus­trating that it does work, and students like using it. We must respect these privileges, not abuse them.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded