University transportation clearly showing worth
When the University implemented new transportation measures in the beginning of the semester, the expectation was that they were just empty promises. Safety has always been an issue, and the University has struggled to implement programs that work in the long haul. However, since the initiation of the SHU Safe Ride and University Patrol, crime has been significantly more controlled, and these programs appear to be serving their purpose - deterring crime off-campus, providing a safer environment for students.
However, as reported this week, students still remain unhappy and are, in several ways perhaps, taking advantage of these programs because they simply misunderstand them. Public Safety reported a student calling for a ride from Rite Aid, but was later told that the Safe Ride did not travel down South Orange Avenue. She said she felt threatened, which prompted the University to send SOPD along with an escort. SOPD found no threat. Students must not abuse the privileges that Public Safety provides, and that, while these programs are meant to cater to students and provide additional feelings of safety, they are not meant to be abused, especially when it involves police.
While it may be frustrating that the Safe Ride does not stop on South Orange Avenue because of designated SHUFly stops, these hurdles are easily maneuverable, and instead of finding what is wrong or frustrating about a program, we should be admiring the fact that the Safe Ride has a huge spike in ridership compared to the CASE Van last year, illustrating that it does work, and students like using it. We must respect these privileges, not abuse them.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!