Former Pirates playing overseas
Theodore in Turkey, Pope in Israel make impact on their professional teams
Former Pirate Herb Pope works with a boy for a camp day at the Bnei Herzliya facilitiy. Photo courtesy of Bnei Herzliya’s Facebook
Jordan Theodore embraces his teammates in a team picture before the season. Photo courtesy of Antalya BSB website
After not hearing their names called at the 2012 NBA draft, former men's basketball players Jordan Theodore and Herb Pope pursued professional careers overseas and are making an impact on their new teams.
Point guard Theodore signed a contract with Antalya BSB of the Beko Turkish Basketball League on July 18. Brooklyn Nets point guard Deron Williams played in the TBL during the NBA lockout last season, and former all-star Allen Iverson played in the league in 2010-11.
Theodore has made an in instant impact for Antalya BSB (2-6), averaging 14.13 points per game and 3.75 assists per game, according to the TBL website. He has scored in double figures in seven of the team's eight games.
Theodore reached the 20-point mark on Nov. 24 in a 93-89 win against TED Kolejiller
His 14.13 points per game is 18th in the league and his 30 assists on the year in tenth best.
Theodore is shooting 44 percent from inside the arc, but just 25 percent from 3-point range.
Theodore posted career-highs in points and assists in his last season as a Pirate, scoring 16.1 points per game and dishing out 6.6 assists per game. He broke the program's single-season assists record, en route to the second most assists per game average in the Big East.
Teammate Herb Pope signed a contract to play with Bnei Herzliya of Israel in the Ligat HaAl, the top division of basketball Israel on July 23.
Pope is averaging 9.6 points per game this season, while shooting 66 percent from the floor through seven games this season.
The team raves about Pope in his player profile on their website bhbasket.co.il, calling him "a powerful forward/center" with an "aggressive" style of play.
Bnei Herzliya is 2-5 this season.
Pope averaged a double-double last season, scoring 15.1 points per game while grabbing 10.4 rebounds per game. Pope averaged the second most rebounds per game in the Big East, behind West Virgina forward Kevin Jones.
T.J. Brennan can be reached at Thomas.Brennan@student.shu.edu.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Seton Hall softball splits doubleheader with Providence
- Baseball wins 8th straight
- McCarthy wins again as baseball ousts Xavier
- Tennis wins all nine matches vs. Monmouth
- Weigel, Prendergast lead SHU baseball to victory
- Ka-Deidre Simmons named Honorable Mention All-American
- Seton Hall tennis fights back, gets vital win over Providence
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now