Former Pirates playing overseas
Theodore in Turkey, Pope in Israel make impact on their professional teams
Former Pirate Herb Pope works with a boy for a camp day at the Bnei Herzliya facilitiy. Photo courtesy of Bnei Herzliya’s Facebook
Jordan Theodore embraces his teammates in a team picture before the season. Photo courtesy of Antalya BSB website
After not hearing their names called at the 2012 NBA draft, former men's basketball players Jordan Theodore and Herb Pope pursued professional careers overseas and are making an impact on their new teams.
Point guard Theodore signed a contract with Antalya BSB of the Beko Turkish Basketball League on July 18. Brooklyn Nets point guard Deron Williams played in the TBL during the NBA lockout last season, and former all-star Allen Iverson played in the league in 2010-11.
Theodore has made an in instant impact for Antalya BSB (2-6), averaging 14.13 points per game and 3.75 assists per game, according to the TBL website. He has scored in double figures in seven of the team's eight games.
Theodore reached the 20-point mark on Nov. 24 in a 93-89 win against TED Kolejiller
His 14.13 points per game is 18th in the league and his 30 assists on the year in tenth best.
Theodore is shooting 44 percent from inside the arc, but just 25 percent from 3-point range.
Theodore posted career-highs in points and assists in his last season as a Pirate, scoring 16.1 points per game and dishing out 6.6 assists per game. He broke the program's single-season assists record, en route to the second most assists per game average in the Big East.
Teammate Herb Pope signed a contract to play with Bnei Herzliya of Israel in the Ligat HaAl, the top division of basketball Israel on July 23.
Pope is averaging 9.6 points per game this season, while shooting 66 percent from the floor through seven games this season.
The team raves about Pope in his player profile on their website bhbasket.co.il, calling him "a powerful forward/center" with an "aggressive" style of play.
Bnei Herzliya is 2-5 this season.
Pope averaged a double-double last season, scoring 15.1 points per game while grabbing 10.4 rebounds per game. Pope averaged the second most rebounds per game in the Big East, behind West Virgina forward Kevin Jones.
T.J. Brennan can be reached at Thomas.Brennan@student.shu.edu.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge