Truck stuffed by students after Sandy
Business leadership and development students volunteer to load the truck at stuff the truck event. Photo courtesy of Milan Stanic
Nearly a ton of non-perishable foods was donated by Pirates at the "Stuff the Truck" event on Jan. 14.
With the donations going to those who were affected by Hurricane Sandy, Seton Hall students contributed 1,966 pounds of food and $450 in cash, checks and Pirates Gold, according to Adam Warner, the director of the Market Research Center at the Stillman School of Business.
The donations went through the Community FoodBank of New Jersey.
"We had a tremendous response from the entire Seton Hall University community," Warner said. "Donations came from across campus, and folks seemed like they were happy to help. The Community FoodBank of New Jersey was also very appreciative of the partnership with SHU, and these donations will go a long ways toward helping folks who were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy."
Several business leadership development students not only took the time to help load the truck with donations, but organized the event over winter break, according to shu.edu.
The FoodBank suffered major damages and lost more than 100,000 pounds of food due to the storm. Students went there to see how much food was needed to restore the FoodBank.
"The leadership development students should be commended for their outstanding volunteer efforts," Warner said. "They really helped make it happen."
In early December, students were given grocery bags donated by ShopRite as reminders to bring donations for the "Stuff the Truck" event.
Students were able to donate bags of nonperishable foods or give money donations via cash, check or Pirates Gold via a swipe machine. Donations were also made through text message at 80888.
"The giving spirit of Seton Hall was certainly out in full force at the 'Stuff the Truck' event," Warner said.
Tiffany Do can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!