Post Classifieds

One Direction stays on grid with newest album

By Samantha Giedris
On November 14, 2012

Following in the footsteps of New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC, the members of the British-Irish boy band One Direction do their part in fulfilling the generational need for a group that girls can scream about. They put themselves on the grid and on the minds of those girls with their first single "What Makes You Beau­tiful." Their newest album, "Take Me Home," which was released on Tuesday, keeps their pop image alive.

The album's first track "Live While We're Young" sets the pace for the upbeat, pop-inspired album. The album is, appropriate­ly, listed on iTunes under the "Teen Pop" genre. With the similar girl-centered songs that follow on this album, teenage girls are sure to enjoy the danceable music the band continues to produce.

While older, or less interested listeners may be easily deterred by the band's typi­cal pop sound, they definitely hit their tar­get audience. In an effort to attract more diverse listeners and still connect with their current fans, they infuse a few slow songs into "Take Me Home." The tracks "Little Things," "Change My Mind" and "Over You" show off the band's softer side. While this side isn't much of a stretch from the pop content that they're known for, it is clear that they're attempting to shake up their image.

Nonetheless, the overly energetic mu­sic on this album isn't exactly quality, but it's still keeping the band alive on the ra­dio. While "Take Me Home" isn't likely to gain the band many more fans looking to enhance their musical horizons, it will defi­nitely keep their current fans interested and highly entertained.

There is no question that the Beatles-like phenomenon that One Direction has cur­rently acquired will be around for a while. "Take Me Home" is quintessential pop mu­sic that some can't help but to sing along to, no matter how embarrassing that may be.

The Setonian gives this album 5 out of 5 stars.

Samantha Giedris can be reached at Sa­mantha.giedris@student.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded