South Orange comedian brings laughter to hometown at SOPAC
Jessica Kirson along with other New York City standup comedians Kyle Grooms, Lenny Marcus, and Jodie Wasserman, brought laughter to South Orange when they performed at SOPAC last Saturday.
Jessica Kirson is an example to South Orange residents, as she grew up in the town and has made it into the big leagues. In fact, when asked about appearing on Comedy Central and NBC, she was extremely down-to-earth.
"I was incredibly nervous and it was incredibly exciting," Kirson said.
As with most success stories, there always seems to be a turning point or inspiration that contributed to that achievement. When asked how she first got involved with comedy, Kirson explained that her grandmother encouraged her to take a standup comedy class because she was always the class clown.
Kirson definitely showed her ability to be a class clown at her SOPAC show as she interacted with the audience and had no inhibitions.
"I have done three shows at SOPAC [in the past]," she said. "The first show I did was with other celebrities from S.O and Maplewood."
For this particular show, though, Kirson chose to work with city comedians.
"There are usually other comedians on the shows I do," Kirson explained. "It's great to have variety. I usually host the shows...they are my friends and they are incredibly talented."
The humor each comedian brought to the stage was uncanny and incredibly entertaining.
As for future plans, Kirson said that she has "a movie coming out in 2013 called 'School Dance' which was written and directed by Nick Cannon."
Between starring in an upcoming movie and performing at countless comedy shows, there was one experience that stood out to Kirson in particular.
"I did a show in NYC at The Comedy Cellar," she said. "Robin Williams was in the crowd. He was yelling out to me the whole time telling me how talented he thought I was. It was amazing for me because I have always been such a fan of his. He came up to me afterwards and told me I would be a star."
Based on her performance on Saturday and her personable persona, there is no doubt that Williams' words will become Kirson's reality in the near future.
Catherine Chidiac can be reached at Catherine.email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- New Campus Security and Safety report released
- Student Government Association swears in new senators
- 'More changes, different changes' on campus
- Record numbers expected at annual Pirate Blue Beefsteak Tip-Off Dinner
- From DC to LA, plenty to watch this MLB postseason
- Help drops in
- MSOC looking to snap losing streak in Omaha
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections