Post Classifieds

'RED 2' is a locked and loaded summer hit

By Brett Montana
On July 26, 2013

• Redshirt sophomore Ka-Deidre Simmons looks to pass to a teammate in a game earlier this season. Simmons scored 12 points in the game against DePaul on Wednesday night. Leah Poland, The Setonian

Once again the A-list cast of the 2010 action-comedy film "RED" has found its way back into the summer hits conversation with the premiere of the sequel "RED 2", which debuted in theaters July 19.  Produced by DC Entertainment, "RED 2" is part of a recent neo-noir movement in Hollywood that is gaining popularity with its knack for quick-wit comedy infused with thrilling action scenes reminiscent of early 20th century gangster and crime genres.  

"RED 2" focuses on the never-too-far-from-danger retired CIA black-ops agent Frank Moses, played by action icon Bruce Willis. Moses and fellow retired agent Marvin Boggs (the quirky John Malkovich) have been framed for an arms theft they were never involved in, putting them at the top of the government's most wanted list. Even ally Victoria Winslow (English acting legend Helen Mirren) accepts a contract from MI6 to assassinate them, though she knows they're innocent. Now Moses must reassemble his band of elite-yet-misfit operatives to track down the stolen red mercury bomb with the help of the criminally insane Dr. Edward Bailey, played by Sir Anthony Hopkins (who is also no stranger to thrillers). Much hilarity ensues as the dysfunctional group tries to clear their name, discover who set them up and save 11 million innocent civilians from being harmed by the stolen nuclear weapon.  

Locked and loaded with all of the necessary traits that an explosive action movie needs - shoot-outs, fiery explosions, trash-talk dialogue and of course romantic involvement - "RED 2" shouldn't garner too many points for its originality as it follows the same basic premise of most modern action films. However, the all-star cast alone commands a great deal of attention from movie goers, setting up the film to likely become one of the highest-grossing summer blockbusters of 2013. Don't expect "RED 2" to break down any barriers for innovation, but the storyline is tried-and-true and successful for a reason: it's extremely entertaining and holds the attention of the audience.

4 out of 5 doubloons

Brett Montana can be reached at brett.montana@student.shu.edu.

By Brett

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded