'RED 2' is a locked and loaded summer hit
Redshirt sophomore Ka-Deidre Simmons looks to pass to a teammate in a game earlier this season. Simmons scored 12 points in the game against DePaul on Wednesday night. Leah Poland, The Setonian
Once again the A-list cast of the 2010 action-comedy film "RED" has found its way back into the summer hits conversation with the premiere of the sequel "RED 2", which debuted in theaters July 19. Produced by DC Entertainment, "RED 2" is part of a recent neo-noir movement in Hollywood that is gaining popularity with its knack for quick-wit comedy infused with thrilling action scenes reminiscent of early 20th century gangster and crime genres.
"RED 2" focuses on the never-too-far-from-danger retired CIA black-ops agent Frank Moses, played by action icon Bruce Willis. Moses and fellow retired agent Marvin Boggs (the quirky John Malkovich) have been framed for an arms theft they were never involved in, putting them at the top of the government's most wanted list. Even ally Victoria Winslow (English acting legend Helen Mirren) accepts a contract from MI6 to assassinate them, though she knows they're innocent. Now Moses must reassemble his band of elite-yet-misfit operatives to track down the stolen red mercury bomb with the help of the criminally insane Dr. Edward Bailey, played by Sir Anthony Hopkins (who is also no stranger to thrillers). Much hilarity ensues as the dysfunctional group tries to clear their name, discover who set them up and save 11 million innocent civilians from being harmed by the stolen nuclear weapon.
Locked and loaded with all of the necessary traits that an explosive action movie needs - shoot-outs, fiery explosions, trash-talk dialogue and of course romantic involvement - "RED 2" shouldn't garner too many points for its originality as it follows the same basic premise of most modern action films. However, the all-star cast alone commands a great deal of attention from movie goers, setting up the film to likely become one of the highest-grossing summer blockbusters of 2013. Don't expect "RED 2" to break down any barriers for innovation, but the storyline is tried-and-true and successful for a reason: it's extremely entertaining and holds the attention of the audience.
4 out of 5 doubloons
Brett Montana can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Reality Check:
- Men aim to make statement on the road against Georgia
- Simmons squared: Women win 10th straight behind Daisha and Didi
- MBB dominates USF for first true road win
- Streaking women's earns their ninth win in a row
- MBB: Mobley, Pirates handle the Peacocks
- Pirates fail to shock Wichita State, handed first loss
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists