'RED 2' is a locked and loaded summer hit
Redshirt sophomore Ka-Deidre Simmons looks to pass to a teammate in a game earlier this season. Simmons scored 12 points in the game against DePaul on Wednesday night. Leah Poland, The Setonian
Once again the A-list cast of the 2010 action-comedy film "RED" has found its way back into the summer hits conversation with the premiere of the sequel "RED 2", which debuted in theaters July 19. Produced by DC Entertainment, "RED 2" is part of a recent neo-noir movement in Hollywood that is gaining popularity with its knack for quick-wit comedy infused with thrilling action scenes reminiscent of early 20th century gangster and crime genres.
"RED 2" focuses on the never-too-far-from-danger retired CIA black-ops agent Frank Moses, played by action icon Bruce Willis. Moses and fellow retired agent Marvin Boggs (the quirky John Malkovich) have been framed for an arms theft they were never involved in, putting them at the top of the government's most wanted list. Even ally Victoria Winslow (English acting legend Helen Mirren) accepts a contract from MI6 to assassinate them, though she knows they're innocent. Now Moses must reassemble his band of elite-yet-misfit operatives to track down the stolen red mercury bomb with the help of the criminally insane Dr. Edward Bailey, played by Sir Anthony Hopkins (who is also no stranger to thrillers). Much hilarity ensues as the dysfunctional group tries to clear their name, discover who set them up and save 11 million innocent civilians from being harmed by the stolen nuclear weapon.
Locked and loaded with all of the necessary traits that an explosive action movie needs - shoot-outs, fiery explosions, trash-talk dialogue and of course romantic involvement - "RED 2" shouldn't garner too many points for its originality as it follows the same basic premise of most modern action films. However, the all-star cast alone commands a great deal of attention from movie goers, setting up the film to likely become one of the highest-grossing summer blockbusters of 2013. Don't expect "RED 2" to break down any barriers for innovation, but the storyline is tried-and-true and successful for a reason: it's extremely entertaining and holds the attention of the audience.
4 out of 5 doubloons
Brett Montana can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Pirates volleyball ready for Red Storm
- Women’s golf delivers fourth place finish at Yale Intercollegiate
- Strong individual efforts in West Point for SHU tennis
- MSOC looking for bounce back win as they travel to Drexel
- Pirates volleyball ready for Red Storm
- Men’s and women’s cross country finish second at ASICS Embry-Riddle Classic
- Seton Hall women's soccer ready to take on Butler
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections