Seton Hall women fall to Cincinnati
Women's basketball still winless in Big East play
The Seton Hall women's basketball team fell to Cincinnati Saturday afternoon, 54-48, leaving the Pirates still in search of their first Big East win.
Having only scored 16 points in the first half, Seton Hall's deficit was too large to surmount despite an offensive surge late in the second half.
"All season we have looked at one game at a time," head coach Anne Donovan said. "Our next game is Rutgers and we are going to have to try and play better on the road than we do here."
The Pirates were able to get within three points with two minutes remaining in the second half, but late offensive rebounds by Cincinnati kept the Pirates at a distance.
"I told my teammates to stay focused on defense and box out, because we were thriving in transition," senior guard Jasmine Crew said.
Crew led the Pirates with 19 points and four assists prior to fouling out with 30 seconds remaining in the game.
"I was a little disappointed, because no one wants to foul out, but I have a lot of faith in my teammates," Crew said.
Sophomore guard Brittany Morris added eight points.
The Pirates were down 26-16 after settling for outside shots in the first half. They were 16.7 percent from the 3-point line, shooting 2-of-12 for the game.
"With a little time left in the first half, we realized the outside game wasn't working and changed our focus to getting to the rim," Donovan said.
Donovan also noted that free throws continue to add to the team's demise.
"We have competed in most games we have played and had a great opportunity to close out this one," Donovan said.
The Pirates were 10-of-17 from the line in the game and missed what would have been timely free throws late in the game.
Cincinnati had three players score in double digits. Junior guard Dayeesha Hollin led the Bearcats with 16 points, six rebounds, and three assists.
Senior guard Chanel Chisholm added 14 points and two steals while senior guard Bjonee Reaves had 12 points and four rebounds.
The defense, especially in the second half, was one positive that Donovan had pointed out. The Pirates had five steals and three blocked shots in the game, also causing two shot clock violations.
The Pirates have to "continue to stay positive" in their upcoming games, according to Crew.
Seton Hall celebrated "Deck the Hall Pink" for Breast Cancer Awareness by wearing pink jerseys and shoelaces during the game as well as honoring breast cancer survivors prior to the game.
The Pirates are back in action on Tuesday night when they take on Rutgers Scarlet Nights at 7:30 p.m. on the road.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Seton Hall softball splits doubleheader with Providence
- Baseball wins 8th straight
- McCarthy wins again as baseball ousts Xavier
- Tennis wins all nine matches vs. Monmouth
- Weigel, Prendergast lead SHU baseball to victory
- Ka-Deidre Simmons named Honorable Mention All-American
- Seton Hall tennis fights back, gets vital win over Providence
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now