Post Classifieds

Male students stop shaving to raise money for cancer

By Ethan Arnowitz
On November 9, 2011

• Junior Brendan Borthwick supports the cause and has not shaved. Ethan Arnowitz, The Setonian

Male students at Seton Hall are joining arms with men from all over the world in a global movement this November, the goal being to go completely unshaven for an entire month.

The movement goes by several names, depending on the amount of facial hair one chooses to leave untouched, but is most commonly known as No Shave November.

No Shave November warrants that men not shave any facial hair throughout the month of November, and according to participating student and Resident Assistant Quemars Ahmed, there are several reasons to let it grow.

"No Shave November is a multi-faceted event," Ahmed said. "Primarily it's a celebration of manhood, and secondly it is a way to raise money and awareness for men's health issues."

However, this is not the only version of the month-long celebration of facial hair and manliness.

In another version, the month is nick-named Movember, and only the mustache is left to grow untrimmed, while the rest of the face remains clean shaven, according to Gregory D'Amato, a student participating in Movember.

"It's totally different from No Shave November," D'Amato said. "Instead of just not shaving, it asks that men grow mustaches and start teams to raise money to be donated to a few different out­lets."

Movember has its very own website, movember.com, where willing men can sign-up to create a team and raise money, which is donated to research cancers that specifically affect men, according to the website.

According to the website, the movement began in Melbourne, Australia in 2003, and has since grown into a "truly global move­ment inspiring more than 1.1 Mil­lion ‘Mo Bro's' to participate."

"Movember has actually given men a reason to grow facial hair," D'Amato said. "It's one of the best fundraisers that I've ever found online and I'm totally excited to do it."

Earlier this month, D'Amato held an informational program on Movember in order to get students involved in raising awareness.

"Being an R.A. I try to bring things to campus that would be in­teresting and fun," D'Amato said. "I had men sign a pledge to ‘Oc­cupy the Upper Lip' and donate their face to men's health."

Ahmed also held a program ear­lier in the month; however his was based on the No Shave November version of the movement.

"I believe in the sanctity of all facial hair, and I encourage growth of any kind," Ahmed said.

Though Ahmed's program dif­fers slightly from D'Amato's, they are united in a common goal to raise awareness for men's health issues and celebrate manhood.

"Whether you're male or female, rich or poor, facial-hair endowed or not, the issues of public health are universal to all," Ahmed said. "This issue is not exclusive to anyone; now let us stand up for this cause, for each other."

For most men, not having to shave for a month can be a relief, but according to D'Amato, not ev­eryone is a fan of No Shave No­vember.

"Women are kind of turned off by the facial hair," D'Amato said. "However that is mostly from No Shave November."

D'Amato believes that Movem­ber may be a better alternative for keeping your face more cleanly shaven.

However, female student Ve­ronica Grupico does not mind all of the facial hair due to the impor­tance of its cause.

"I definitely think that because there is an underlying message, I'm more supportive of the whole concept of not shaving," Grupico said. "If there was no point to it, then I think I'd be grossed out."

"We're pirates, tell me a pirate who had a clean-shaven face," Ahmed said. "Participating in No Shave November isn't just a moral duty; it's a duty to your university. Seton Hall Pirates unite, you have nothing to lose but your razors."

Ethan Arnowitz can be reached at ethan.arnowitz@student.shu.edu

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded