St. Patrick's Day 2013
Fun Facts and History
*St. Patrick is prominently known for bringing Catholicism to Ireland.
* The use of the shamrock in celebration is based off the myth that St. Patrick used it to explain the holy trinity to the Irish.
* St. Patrick was not Irish, he was British
* Green was not always the color of St. Patrick's Day, it was St. Patrick blue
* In Ireland they don't eat corn beef and cabbage, instead they eat a type of bacon
Traditions and Memories:
"When I was little, the 'leprechaun' used to hide a little present somewhere in my house. I was also convinced when I was five that these dirt marks on the backboard of my basketball hoop were leprechaun footprints." - Kristyn Lyncheski, Digital Editor
"There was this kid in my high school who, because he was 5ft tall and tiny with bright red hair, would dress as a leprechaun. Every St. Patrick's Day he would wear this costume and run into a random classroom, cause all types of chaos, then run out. Sometimes the teachers would attempt to catch him. A lot of kids felt lucky if their's was the class he barged in on." - Chelsea Catlett,
Assistant Digital Editor
"My mom cooks corn beef and cabbage and my teachers in elementary school used to mess up the classroom and say leprechauns did it." - Lindsay Rittenhouse, News Editor
"Going to Gaelic Park to see hurling is a staple of my St. Patrick's Day festivities." - Brandon Biskobing, Staff Write
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Seton Hall softball splits doubleheader with Providence
- Baseball wins 8th straight
- McCarthy wins again as baseball ousts Xavier
- Tennis wins all nine matches vs. Monmouth
- Weigel, Prendergast lead SHU baseball to victory
- Ka-Deidre Simmons named Honorable Mention All-American
- Seton Hall tennis fights back, gets vital win over Providence
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now