St. Patrick's Day 2013
Fun Facts and History
*St. Patrick is prominently known for bringing Catholicism to Ireland.
* The use of the shamrock in celebration is based off the myth that St. Patrick used it to explain the holy trinity to the Irish.
* St. Patrick was not Irish, he was British
* Green was not always the color of St. Patrick's Day, it was St. Patrick blue
* In Ireland they don't eat corn beef and cabbage, instead they eat a type of bacon
Traditions and Memories:
"When I was little, the 'leprechaun' used to hide a little present somewhere in my house. I was also convinced when I was five that these dirt marks on the backboard of my basketball hoop were leprechaun footprints." - Kristyn Lyncheski, Digital Editor
"There was this kid in my high school who, because he was 5ft tall and tiny with bright red hair, would dress as a leprechaun. Every St. Patrick's Day he would wear this costume and run into a random classroom, cause all types of chaos, then run out. Sometimes the teachers would attempt to catch him. A lot of kids felt lucky if their's was the class he barged in on." - Chelsea Catlett,
Assistant Digital Editor
"My mom cooks corn beef and cabbage and my teachers in elementary school used to mess up the classroom and say leprechauns did it." - Lindsay Rittenhouse, News Editor
"Going to Gaelic Park to see hurling is a staple of my St. Patrick's Day festivities." - Brandon Biskobing, Staff Write
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Seton Hall tennis fights back, gets vital win over Providence
- Please, Randy Gregory is still a top-ten pick despite failed drug test
- Softball sweeps Villanova
- Baseball wins double-header behind McCarthy, Boyd
- Softball takes two in double-header against Nova
- Seton Hall tennis falls to Xavier
- Young pitcher being asked to step up for SHU
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Make Outdoor Spaces as Beautiful and Comfortable...
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...