St. Patrick's Day 2013
Fun Facts and History
*St. Patrick is prominently known for bringing Catholicism to Ireland.
* The use of the shamrock in celebration is based off the myth that St. Patrick used it to explain the holy trinity to the Irish.
* St. Patrick was not Irish, he was British
* Green was not always the color of St. Patrick's Day, it was St. Patrick blue
* In Ireland they don't eat corn beef and cabbage, instead they eat a type of bacon
Traditions and Memories:
"When I was little, the 'leprechaun' used to hide a little present somewhere in my house. I was also convinced when I was five that these dirt marks on the backboard of my basketball hoop were leprechaun footprints." - Kristyn Lyncheski, Digital Editor
"There was this kid in my high school who, because he was 5ft tall and tiny with bright red hair, would dress as a leprechaun. Every St. Patrick's Day he would wear this costume and run into a random classroom, cause all types of chaos, then run out. Sometimes the teachers would attempt to catch him. A lot of kids felt lucky if their's was the class he barged in on." - Chelsea Catlett,
Assistant Digital Editor
"My mom cooks corn beef and cabbage and my teachers in elementary school used to mess up the classroom and say leprechauns did it." - Lindsay Rittenhouse, News Editor
"Going to Gaelic Park to see hurling is a staple of my St. Patrick's Day festivities." - Brandon Biskobing, Staff Write
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses