St. Patrick's Day 2013
Fun Facts and History
*St. Patrick is prominently known for bringing Catholicism to Ireland.
* The use of the shamrock in celebration is based off the myth that St. Patrick used it to explain the holy trinity to the Irish.
* St. Patrick was not Irish, he was British
* Green was not always the color of St. Patrick's Day, it was St. Patrick blue
* In Ireland they don't eat corn beef and cabbage, instead they eat a type of bacon
Traditions and Memories:
"When I was little, the 'leprechaun' used to hide a little present somewhere in my house. I was also convinced when I was five that these dirt marks on the backboard of my basketball hoop were leprechaun footprints." - Kristyn Lyncheski, Digital Editor
"There was this kid in my high school who, because he was 5ft tall and tiny with bright red hair, would dress as a leprechaun. Every St. Patrick's Day he would wear this costume and run into a random classroom, cause all types of chaos, then run out. Sometimes the teachers would attempt to catch him. A lot of kids felt lucky if their's was the class he barged in on." - Chelsea Catlett,
Assistant Digital Editor
"My mom cooks corn beef and cabbage and my teachers in elementary school used to mess up the classroom and say leprechauns did it." - Lindsay Rittenhouse, News Editor
"Going to Gaelic Park to see hurling is a staple of my St. Patrick's Day festivities." - Brandon Biskobing, Staff Write
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!