St. Patrick's Day 2013
Fun Facts and History
*St. Patrick is prominently known for bringing Catholicism to Ireland.
* The use of the shamrock in celebration is based off the myth that St. Patrick used it to explain the holy trinity to the Irish.
* St. Patrick was not Irish, he was British
* Green was not always the color of St. Patrick's Day, it was St. Patrick blue
* In Ireland they don't eat corn beef and cabbage, instead they eat a type of bacon
Traditions and Memories:
"When I was little, the 'leprechaun' used to hide a little present somewhere in my house. I was also convinced when I was five that these dirt marks on the backboard of my basketball hoop were leprechaun footprints." - Kristyn Lyncheski, Digital Editor
"There was this kid in my high school who, because he was 5ft tall and tiny with bright red hair, would dress as a leprechaun. Every St. Patrick's Day he would wear this costume and run into a random classroom, cause all types of chaos, then run out. Sometimes the teachers would attempt to catch him. A lot of kids felt lucky if their's was the class he barged in on." - Chelsea Catlett,
Assistant Digital Editor
"My mom cooks corn beef and cabbage and my teachers in elementary school used to mess up the classroom and say leprechauns did it." - Lindsay Rittenhouse, News Editor
"Going to Gaelic Park to see hurling is a staple of my St. Patrick's Day festivities." - Brandon Biskobing, Staff Write
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Auda Moving on From Seton Hall to Play for Polish Team, Edwin to Play in Italy
- Seton Hall Volleyball Releases Home Heavy 2014-Schedule
- Breaking Down the Decision: Lebron’s Return to a City in Need
- LeBron's Maturity Could Be Key Piece to Return to Cleveland
- Seton Hall Men’s Golf to Play in Six Tournaments This Fall
- Roster, Schedule Changes Leading Tony Bozzella to Heightened Expectations for...
- Seton Hall Alum Grilli Traded to the Angels
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?