'Super Fun Night' is a super fail
"Super Fun Night" premiered on ABC on Oct. 2 starring "Bridesmaids" and "Pitch Perfect's" Rebel Wilson. The show's pilot episode was rewritten after critics who saw the original argued it had a lack of fun and was not pleasant. It was totally reworked to become the episode aired on Oct. 2. The show follows three friends, Kimmie Boubier, played by Wilson, Helen Allison, played by Liza Lapira, and Marika, played by Lauren Ash. All three have lived sheltered lives, scared of the world but finally decide to take on the real world and face their fears, which include singing in public.
This premiere solely focuses on Wilson's character, Kimmie, who has an American accent and gets picked on constantly at her job and by others. She has had fears of singing in public since she was young because people made fun of her and taunted her before she went on stage. Now that she has a successful job as a lawyer and was just promoted, her friends dared Kimmie to face her fears and sing in front of an audience at a local piano restaurant.
Wilson's character has a love interest, Richard Royce, played by Kevin Bishop, and an enemy, Kendall, played by Kate Jenkinson.
Richard and Kendall both show up to the restaurant to show support for Kimmie but Kendall decides to show her vocals off and scare Kimmie into not wanting to perform. By the end of the show, Kimmie faces her fears and sings that she will do "anything for love."
Although Kendall wins the trophy, Kimmie's super fun night still turned out as the usual girls' night with staying in and pizza. This concept and scenario makes the show sound and look clichÃ© to viewers with the stereotypical plot and scenario.
Though the show is well written, the actors make it dysfunctional, clichÃ© and hard to watch at points because of mixed personalities, particularly Wilson's character. "Super Fun Night" has the potential of being a hit sitcom, but the creators need to make it more about the show than making fun of Wilson's character.
Amanda Boyer can be reached at Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Hall gets commitment from Singh
- Baseball: Pirates drop two in double header
- SHU tennis sweeps the weekend
- Women lock up conference title after wild finish
- Pirates break losing skid behind Karlis’ hot shooting
- Women’s basketball cruises to road win over Xavier
- Prendergast stellar as Pirates collect first win
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes