Post Classifieds

Men's soccer faces tough tests in South Bend and Providence

By Jason Guerette
On October 13, 2011

Coming off a 3-1 loss at rain-drenched Owen T. Carroll Field on Wednesday night at the hands of No. 20 Georgetown, the Pi­rates will now hit the road for two games, traveling to Providence on Saturday and Notre Dame next Wednesday.

The loss to Georgetown drops the Hall to 0-4-0 in the Big East this season.

The Providence Friars made the Big East Championship game last season but lost to Louisville in the final.

This season, they are 6-5-1 following a 2-1 loss to No. 1 Con­necticut, including a 1-2-1 mark in Big East play.

The Friars have also lost three straight matches by a combined score of 6-2 after winning six of their first eight matches.

They have a record of 4-2-0 at home, including a 1-1-0 record in conference play.

Providence is led by a bal­anced offense, with five players taking double-digit shots this season, including redshirt sopho­more midfielder/forward Wilder Arboleda who is at the top of the list with 17 shots taken.

However, it has not overpow­ered their opponents, as Provi­dence has allowed as many goals as they have scored so far this season, 13, and are last in the Big East in shots attempted.

The Friars also have a steady senior goalkeeper in Jhojan Obando.

Obando has a 1.06 goals-against average and a save per­centage of .745 with five shutouts this year.

After Providence, the Pirates will then head to South Bend to face the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The Irish are ranked No. 12 in the nation but are coming off a loss to Marquette on Wednesday.

They are 5-3-4 on the year, including a 3-0-4 mark at home while going 1-0-1 in conference play.

They are 1-2-1 in Big East play overall.

Notre Dame is second in the conference in shots behind only defending champion Louisville.

They are led by four players, including junior forward Ryan Finley, who have each attempted over 20 shots this season.

However, their shot-taking has not translated to the score­board, as the Irish are just 10th in the conference in goals scored.

Nevertheless, the Irish fall back on their senior goalkeeper Will Walsh.

Walsh has also started every game this season and has posted strong numbers with a 0.82 goals-against average and a .818 save percentage with four shutouts.

Despite the tough opposition they will face, coach Manfred Schellscheidt said his team needs to be up for the challenge.

"We need to still accept the challenge of playing established teams, and learn from it game after game," coach Schellscheidt said following the match on Wednesday.

"It's not going to be easy, and maybe this year it's not go­ing to end up being the outcome we would like, but I think we're making an investment in a young team that will be good in the fu­ture."

Jason Guerette can be reached at Jason.guerette@stu­dent.shu.edu

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded