Post Classifieds

Late comeback not enough as Pirates fall to Villanova

Women's basketball eliminated from Big East Tournament following 61=60 loss

By TJ Brennan
On March 2, 2012

Despite posting a 13-point lead on the Villanova Wildcats in the first half, the women's basketball team lost in the first round of the Big East Women's Championship, 61-60, Friday at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn. 

With 2:29 remaining in the first half, the Pirates (8-23) held a 13 point lead, but a 8-0 run from the Wildcats (17-13) cut the Pirates lead to just 5 going into the break.

To start the second period, the Pirates did not hit a field goal until sophomore guard Jazzmine Johnson found a curling Brittany Morris for mid-ranged jumper with 16:19 remaining.

The Pirates retook the lead with 9:10 to go off a jumper from senior guard Jasmine Crew.

The Pirates would build the lead to as much as four, until the Wildcats came storming back.

With a two-point lead with 3:17 remaining, Villanova's leading scorer and rebounder, junior Laura Sweeny fouled out after getting tied up with the Hall's senior center Tajay Ashmeade.

"It was a horrible coaching call to leave her (Sweeny) in the game with four fouls with a two-point lead on offense," said Wildcat head coach Harry Peretta.

With their leader on the bench, Villanova pushed the lead to eight with 1:42 remaining after a 3-point play from guard Devon Kane.

Crew would then score 11 straight points for the Pirates, including a step-back 3-pointer, cutting the lead to two.

With 13 seconds remaining, down by three with Morris fouled out, the Pirates elected to go for the two, as Johnson connected on a lay-up from the left side.

With 3.2 seconds remaining, after two missed free-throws from Kane, a Crew half-court heave fell short as another late comeback bid from the Pirates fell short. 

Crew had 21 points on 9-26 shooting.

Ashmeade continued her prowess on the boards grabbing 12, helping the Pirates out-rebound the Wildcats 46-33.

In addition, the Pirates outscored the Wildcats in the paint 26-20.

"That number is misleading," said Seton Hall Head Coach Anne Donovan.

Donovan also said the season was a let-down year for the Pirates.

"It was a disappointing season overall for us," Donovan said.  "I thought we could steal a few more wins here and there"

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded