Finding the darker side 'Of Montreal'
Of Montreal “Paralytic Stalks” Polyvinyl. Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com
Of Montreal, with their unusual sound and out-there performance style, do not often produce music for the masses. Their new album, "Paralytic Stalks" is no exception.
Blending electro-pop with classical music, they delve into a world of hurt, hate and desperation that is sure to impress fans and critics alike. Although the theme of pain and suffering is not new, listeners beware, "Paralytic Stalks" is not for the faint of heart.
With their poetic lyrics and often discordant instrumentals, many of the songs on the album give the impression of rawness, and the desperation of lead singer Kevin Barnes' vocals only adds to the effect. From the first minute of "Gelid Ascent" to the last minute of "Authentic Pyrrhic Remission," "Paralytic Stalks" is a downward spiral into a pit of despair.
Fans can look forward to a handful of great tracks, including "We Will Commit Wolf Murder" and "Ye, Renew the Plaintiff." "Malefic Dowry," which packs a serious amount of emotion into a surprisingly short amount of time with its fantastic lyrics, also ranks high on the list.
"Wintered Debt," another powerful song, has a quality of brokenness similar to that of "Malefic Dowry," but it has a more suicidal mood. With beautiful, eerie instrumentals and vocals that oscillate between angry and accepting, the song is a descent into an emotional darkness and breakdown.
Barnes saved the best for last. The album's closing track, "Authentic Pyrrhic Remission," is the most impressive. With its upbeat opening lines, the listener is led to believe that they are leaving the album on a happy and hopeful note, only to find that this dream has become a nightmare.
Overall, the album is well put-together and highly cathartic. While the emotions expressed are chaotic and destructive, the music that carries them flows into a solid, if unrefined, work of art.
Andrea Aguirre can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Pirates beat Gardner-Webb, advance to Paradise Jam finals
- WBB bests Penn State behind Didi Simmons
- Strong start to second half helps Seton Hall MBB hold off Nevada in Paradise Jam
- Nobel laureate praises and criticizes U.S. ebola aid
- 7 things we are thankful for
- Alpha Chi Rho officially recognized
- Millennials not cheap, just unemployed
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge