Finding the darker side 'Of Montreal'
Of Montreal “Paralytic Stalks” Polyvinyl. Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com
Of Montreal, with their unusual sound and out-there performance style, do not often produce music for the masses. Their new album, "Paralytic Stalks" is no exception.
Blending electro-pop with classical music, they delve into a world of hurt, hate and desperation that is sure to impress fans and critics alike. Although the theme of pain and suffering is not new, listeners beware, "Paralytic Stalks" is not for the faint of heart.
With their poetic lyrics and often discordant instrumentals, many of the songs on the album give the impression of rawness, and the desperation of lead singer Kevin Barnes' vocals only adds to the effect. From the first minute of "Gelid Ascent" to the last minute of "Authentic Pyrrhic Remission," "Paralytic Stalks" is a downward spiral into a pit of despair.
Fans can look forward to a handful of great tracks, including "We Will Commit Wolf Murder" and "Ye, Renew the Plaintiff." "Malefic Dowry," which packs a serious amount of emotion into a surprisingly short amount of time with its fantastic lyrics, also ranks high on the list.
"Wintered Debt," another powerful song, has a quality of brokenness similar to that of "Malefic Dowry," but it has a more suicidal mood. With beautiful, eerie instrumentals and vocals that oscillate between angry and accepting, the song is a descent into an emotional darkness and breakdown.
Barnes saved the best for last. The album's closing track, "Authentic Pyrrhic Remission," is the most impressive. With its upbeat opening lines, the listener is led to believe that they are leaving the album on a happy and hopeful note, only to find that this dream has become a nightmare.
Overall, the album is well put-together and highly cathartic. While the emotions expressed are chaotic and destructive, the music that carries them flows into a solid, if unrefined, work of art.
Andrea Aguirre can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections