Post Classifieds

Hot summer reads

Your guide to non-required reading for break

By Andrea Aguirre
On June 13, 2011

As more books are being made into movies, more college students are flocking to the bookstore before they head to the theater. While some may be picking up "Water for Elephants," others are picking up the classics. No matter which category readers fall into, they are all asking the same question: what to read next?

"The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac and "Paradise Lost" are two books topping my personal book list, both which will be read in the cool confines of an apartment this summer.  Others include "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau and "The Tipping Point: How little things can make a big difference" by Malcolm Gladwell.

Although these books reign supreme on The New York Times best seller list, many college students are hunting through the local library for classics like "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" and "Lolita."  Some are hoping to get their hands on Ayn Rand's "Anthem" or "Atlas Shrugged." 

"Classics have withstood the test of time," freshman Sam Jennings said. "If I'm picking up a classic, I know it's going to be good."

Jennings said that he spends most of his summer reading. 

"Reading is something I can do inside or outside regardless of the temperature," he said.

Whether college students aim to improve future essays for English class or to simply enjoy a great story while they have the time, they turn to classics as often as they turn to "Harry Potter." 

Other popular modern books that expected to be seen flying off of the shelves are "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, which will be released in film form in August of this year, and  "Water for Elephants" which was released in April and stars Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon.

Marie Odejar, sophomore, who spent the first weeks of her summer in a classroom, says that her summer is usually spent reading Manga.

"I only would read textbooks for class when necessary," she said. "Most of my summer classes have required readings from text books and some of the chapters in it are interesting but there are those chapters that you're straining to stay awake reading."

Odejar said she re-read the last Harry Potter book because the final movie is coming out in July.

So whether this summer will be spent reading new novels or reading the classics on the beach or in the bathtub, students have a wide selection to choose from.

Andrea Aguirre can be reached at andrea.aguirre@student.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded