Post Classifieds

Pope taken to hospital

Men's basketball player removed from Rec Center on stretcher

By Brian Wisowaty
On April 28, 2010

• Paul Simon's So Beautiful Or So What

UPDATE, Friday afternoon: According to a report from the Beaver County (Pa.) Times, Robert Morris head coach Mike Rice spoke with Seton Hall officials about Herb Pope's condition. Rice told the newspaper that "Pope's heart stopped...and (he) also suffered seizures, convulsions and was vomiting" during the incident on Wednesday.

He added that "If he wouldn't have been so close to personnel that knew how to handle the situation, he wouldn't have made it."

Rice also said that Seton Hall officials told him Pope is in stable condition.

UPDATE, Thursday night: According to Jerry Carino of NJ Hoops Haven, Herb Pope remains at St. Barnabas Hospital and is in "serious" condition.

UPDATE, Thursday afternoon: Both USA Today and NJ.com reported that Seton Hall has confirmed that Herb Pope "collapsed yesterday afternoon and was taken to the hospital." The announcement came through Matt Sweeney of Athletic Communications. Sweeney added in the statement that more information would be released "as it becomes available."

--

Sophomore forward Herb Pope was hospitalized Wednesday afternoon after being removed from the Rec Center on a stretcher, according to Rec Center security video cameras and eyewitness reports.

Pope was carried out towards the rear of the building around 4:10 p.m. and placed in an ambulance near the front entrance. According to multiple reports at Zagsblog.com and NJ.com, he collapsed after an afternoon workout and was taken to St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston.

Outside the varsity weight room in the Rec Center, medical supplies and what appeared to be vomit were found in the stairwell and on the floor shortly after Pope was removed from the building.

Later in the evening, Jerry Carino of New Jersey Hoops Haven (website) updated the situation as "serious" and relating to Pope's heart.

Sophomore Michcella Tiscornia was an eyewitness as Pope was en route to the ambulance. He was taken through a hallway of WSOU-FM, which has its studios connected to the building, and down an elevator.

"I was in a classroom and turned around…there were maybe four or five people and the guy on the stretcher," Tiscornia said. "There were at least three EMT's."

Tiscornia also called the scene "very surreal and very random" as well as under control, citing there was little chaos in removing Pope from the building.

"I walked down the hallway…the weight room was empty and I saw a red substance on the floor," Tiscornia said. "I thought it was blood, but looked closer and it seemed like vomit. I thought he probably had a concussion."

She added that Pope was wearing a neck brace while on the stretcher.

According to the Associated Press, Matt Sweeney of Athletic Communications said in a phone interview only "that a student-athlete was taken to the hospital." No updates on Pope's condition could be provided as per the university's student privacy laws.

Pope had declared for the NBA Draft on March 29 but did not hire an agent, allowing him to return for another season with the Pirates. His deadline to make a final decision is May 8.

He led the Big East in rebounding last season - his first with Seton Hall – and earned a spot on the All-Met second team this month.

The Setonian has complete coverage of this story online at TheSetonian.com and through our Twitter feed, Twitter.com/Setonian.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

Men's Basketball: Who has been the most impressive player for Seton Hall so far?

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded