Post Classifieds

Pirates face Villanova for three game series after winning 7 of 9

By T.J. Brennan
On April 19, 2012

• Junior Greg Terhune deliveres the pitch to the plate in the Pirates 16-7 win over NYIT on Tuesday. Therhune made his fourth start of the year giving up three runs in 1.1 innings. Leah Poland, The Setonian

After recording their 20th win of the season on Tuesday, the baseball team heads into the weekend for a three-game series against the Villanova Wildcats at Owen T. Carroll Field.

The Pirates, with a 20-16 re­cord overall and 7-5 in the Big East, come into the series winners of seven of nine games, including two wins in three games against the then No. 19 Louisville Cardi­nals last weekend.

Offense has been the story of late for the Pirates, as the team has scored nine runs or more three times during the last nine games.

"We're seeing the ball a lot better," junior second base­man Mike Genovese said, after the nine run victory over NYIT. "We're not swinging at bad pitch­es."

Despite the recent offensive surge, the Pirates rank last in the Big East in team batting average, runs scored and RBIs.

Head coach Rob Sheppard said the key to winning the series is to maintain the same game plan that the team has played this sea­son.

"We just got to keep playing our solid baseball. I think that's what it comes down to," Shep­pard said. "[We have to] play clean fundamental baseball - pitch the ball well, and play de­fense, and have timely hitting like we did this past weekend. That's what we strive to do."

Genovese echoed his coach's statement about the team's best chance to win this weekend.

"I think we just have to play our style," Genovese said. "If we play our style, nobody can beat us"

Pitching has been a strong point for the Pirates this season. The ace in the pitching rotation, junior Jon Prosinski, was named to his third Big East Weekly Hon­or Roll on Monday for pitching 6.2 innings and allowing only one run against Louisville last week­end.

In Tuesday's game, the Pirates used seven relief pitchers after ju­nior Greg Terhune could not get out of the second inning.

Shepherd said using seven relief pitchers can be seen posi­tively.

"It gets our guys into game sit­uations," Sheppard said. "It gives us an opportunity to get some oth­er guys in there and get a chance to face some live hitters."

The Wildcats, with a record of 19-18, 4-8 in conference, boast the Big East's leading hitter in se­nior Tyler Sciacca who is hitting .392. Sciacca is also eighth in the conference with 30 RBIs.

As a team, Villanova ranks second to Louisville in team bat­ting average, hitting .300 through 37 games.

Last season, the Pirates won two out of three games against the Wildcats on the road.

Sheppard said that because the series is at home, it makes the team feel more comfortable.

"You want to play at home. Any time you get a chance to play in front of your own crowd and play on your own field, you're ex­cited," Sheppard said. "You want to hold serve at home, and that's what we try to do, and guys play well on it."

The Pirates open the series on Friday at Owen T. Carroll Field. First-pitch is set for 6 p.m.

TJ Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded