Neon Trees album catchy but shallow
Kevin Willard in his third season at Seton Hall is not worried about his team’s place in the preseason coaches poll. Photo courtesy of Milan Stanic
Neon Tree's "Picture Show" is no sophomore slump. With electro-pop like rhythms and synth-rock melodies, this Utah-based quartet stays true to their sound.
The album starts off with the soulful beats of "Moving in the Dark" and continues the rest of the work with fast-paced, old Hollywood-esque lyrics. The album slows down about half way through to give the band the opportunity to show a softer side, in which they prevail with ease.
Neon Trees also plays with the ideas and aspects of being a teenager in the world of gossip with their hit-single "Everybody Talks." The themes of young and fleeting love are also ones that reoccur throughout the album.
Because one might find this new album to be one for the carefree partiers, the lyrics may appear to be unoriginal, shallow and almost obnoxious. With the focus mainly on the world of appearance-based love, designer drugs, weekend parties and sex, one can conclude that the band did not mean for "Picture Show" to be an overly emotional pouring of past relationships and personal experiences. It is just for the fun of it.
While lead vocalist Tyler Green is known for his belting of the chorus of "Animal" from their first record "Habits" released in 2010, he does not disappoint on "Picture Show" with his powerful voice. Although the powerhouse belting is not as plentiful as is in their first album, Green impresses with softer, more soothing crooning in songs such as "Still Young" and "Close to You." It is obvious that Green has grown as a musician for the sophomore album.
Neon Trees puts together a fun and energetic album that is not only easy to dance to, but pleasing to the ears. While it may not have a too many emotion-packed ballads, "Picture Show" certainly provides enough excitement for a good night of dancing in your room.
With this second album sounding so much like the first (themes and melodies included), one's dose of catchy electro-pop could be considered fulfilled for the time being. While Neon Trees does a good job with creating a fun sound for audiences to move to, their third album should move in a different direction.
Tiffany Do can be reached at tiffany. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Pirates volleyball ready for Red Storm
- Women’s golf delivers fourth place finish at Yale Intercollegiate
- Strong individual efforts in West Point for SHU tennis
- MSOC looking for bounce back win as they travel to Drexel
- Pirates volleyball ready for Red Storm
- Men’s and women’s cross country finish second at ASICS Embry-Riddle Classic
- Seton Hall women's soccer ready to take on Butler
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections