SGA gets students to Rock the Vote
SGA’s Rock the Vote campaign is geared to getting students ready for the upcoming election. Lindsay Rittenhouse, The Setonian
The Student Government Association sponsored a "Rock the Vote" initiative this year to get students ready for the upcoming election. SGA has hosted voter registration and debate viewing parties as a part of the initiative.
On Oct. 16, SGA hosted a viewing party in the Cove of the presidential debate.
This was the second of four viewing events SGA will host.
"The goal is to increase knowledge of anyone planning on voting," Kane said.
The event was cosponsored by the South Orange League of Women Voters and the College Republicans.
According to Kane, who co-chaired the "Rock the Vote" initiative with sophomore Brianna Monti, the League of Women Voters has been a great help to the initiative as cosponsor.
"They have a great deal of experience with these kind of events," he said. "They've given us help organizing and have even allowed us to model our events after ones they have hosted in the past."
"Without them, Ryan and I wouldn't have the training to run these events or register students to vote," Monti said.
According to Kane, around 100 people showed up to watch the presidential nominees square off.
The target number of attendees was around 40, he said.
"A lot of people came out to support us as well as take part in the debate," Monti said.
SGA has hosted a series of other events a part of their initiative as well, Kane said.
At the involvement fair in September, SGA set up a voter registration table. According to Kane, almost 80 students registered to vote that day alone.
Students who registered on campus will be able to vote in the Beck Rooms of the Walsh Library on Nov. 6.
On Oct. 11, SGA hosted a viewing of the vice presidential debate. Oct. 22 there will be a viewing of the final debate, and on Nov. 6, Election Day, there will be a result party, both in the cove.
Erin Williams can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Mobley, Pirates handle the Peacocks
- Pirates fail to shock Wichita State, handed first loss
- Seton Hall women’s team wins crucial non-conference game
- Best Albums of 2014
- Seton Hall dominates Rutgers, stay undefeated
- SHU WBB keeps rolling, extends win streak to six
- Volleyball's historic season comes to an end after NCAA Tournament loss
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists