SGA gets students to Rock the Vote
SGA’s Rock the Vote campaign is geared to getting students ready for the upcoming election. Lindsay Rittenhouse, The Setonian
The Student Government Association sponsored a "Rock the Vote" initiative this year to get students ready for the upcoming election. SGA has hosted voter registration and debate viewing parties as a part of the initiative.
On Oct. 16, SGA hosted a viewing party in the Cove of the presidential debate.
This was the second of four viewing events SGA will host.
"The goal is to increase knowledge of anyone planning on voting," Kane said.
The event was cosponsored by the South Orange League of Women Voters and the College Republicans.
According to Kane, who co-chaired the "Rock the Vote" initiative with sophomore Brianna Monti, the League of Women Voters has been a great help to the initiative as cosponsor.
"They have a great deal of experience with these kind of events," he said. "They've given us help organizing and have even allowed us to model our events after ones they have hosted in the past."
"Without them, Ryan and I wouldn't have the training to run these events or register students to vote," Monti said.
According to Kane, around 100 people showed up to watch the presidential nominees square off.
The target number of attendees was around 40, he said.
"A lot of people came out to support us as well as take part in the debate," Monti said.
SGA has hosted a series of other events a part of their initiative as well, Kane said.
At the involvement fair in September, SGA set up a voter registration table. According to Kane, almost 80 students registered to vote that day alone.
Students who registered on campus will be able to vote in the Beck Rooms of the Walsh Library on Nov. 6.
On Oct. 11, SGA hosted a viewing of the vice presidential debate. Oct. 22 there will be a viewing of the final debate, and on Nov. 6, Election Day, there will be a result party, both in the cove.
Erin Williams can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- WBB bests Penn State behind Didi Simmons
- Strong start to second half helps Seton Hall MBB hold off Nevada in Paradise Jam
- Nobel laureate praises and criticizes U.S. ebola aid
- 7 things we are thankful for
- Alpha Chi Rho officially recognized
- Millennials not cheap, just unemployed
- Student group work essential for professional education
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge