SGA gets students to Rock the Vote
SGA’s Rock the Vote campaign is geared to getting students ready for the upcoming election. Lindsay Rittenhouse, The Setonian
The Student Government Association sponsored a "Rock the Vote" initiative this year to get students ready for the upcoming election. SGA has hosted voter registration and debate viewing parties as a part of the initiative.
On Oct. 16, SGA hosted a viewing party in the Cove of the presidential debate.
This was the second of four viewing events SGA will host.
"The goal is to increase knowledge of anyone planning on voting," Kane said.
The event was cosponsored by the South Orange League of Women Voters and the College Republicans.
According to Kane, who co-chaired the "Rock the Vote" initiative with sophomore Brianna Monti, the League of Women Voters has been a great help to the initiative as cosponsor.
"They have a great deal of experience with these kind of events," he said. "They've given us help organizing and have even allowed us to model our events after ones they have hosted in the past."
"Without them, Ryan and I wouldn't have the training to run these events or register students to vote," Monti said.
According to Kane, around 100 people showed up to watch the presidential nominees square off.
The target number of attendees was around 40, he said.
"A lot of people came out to support us as well as take part in the debate," Monti said.
SGA has hosted a series of other events a part of their initiative as well, Kane said.
At the involvement fair in September, SGA set up a voter registration table. According to Kane, almost 80 students registered to vote that day alone.
Students who registered on campus will be able to vote in the Beck Rooms of the Walsh Library on Nov. 6.
On Oct. 11, SGA hosted a viewing of the vice presidential debate. Oct. 22 there will be a viewing of the final debate, and on Nov. 6, Election Day, there will be a result party, both in the cove.
Erin Williams can be reached at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Women’s tennis keeps making strides at ITA Northeast Championship
- Volleyball looks to bounce back in Stony Brook
- Women's soccer held scoreless, ties against Nova
- MSOC: LoManto, Pirates shock Georgetown
- Basketball Tip-Off Party
- Big East-Leading Women’s Volleyball Takes on Georgetown
- SHU Volleyball on a roll as Creighton, Georgetown come to SO
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”