Post Classifieds

"Heartthrob" beats for all

By Benjamin Rader
On February 6, 2013

The Canadian-born twin sisters Tegan and Sara released their 7th full-length studio album, "Heartthrob," on Jan. 29. 

Their catalogue of music up until this release remained popular for the very reason of their unpopularity.  The terms "coffee house" and "thrift store flannel" have indubitably become synonymous with their indie sound.  Their ability to capture the essence of the avant-garde allowed the listener a universal truth; if good music is hard to find than good music that is also popular is nearly impossible to. But, their newest album, produced by Greg Kurkin, nudges them closer to the mass public appeal they've always deserved.

"Heartthrob," comprised of 10 three to four minute songs twisting into synth-pop, rings high in the romantic energy staying true to its name. The synth-heavy songs, bright and positive and encased in a major key, are exciting and emotional all at once. Although this is their first real delve into the world of punch beats, hooks and synths, they've succeeded at catering towards a multitude of fans.

The maturity of the song writing on the album is transparent.  This allows for an evolved simplicity that only a band of age could achieve. Appealing to the masses while staying true to their idiosyncratic nature proves a great feat of pop music being rendered artistically.

How often is there music that satisfies both the radio and the niche population? If Tegan and Sara set out to bridge these two worlds, they triumphantly succeeded. The album has the potential to spill out radio hits and rise to the top of the charts.

Benjamin Rader can be reached at Benjamin.rader@student.shu.edu.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thesetonian News Articles

Recent thesetonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

TODAY'S PRINT EDITION

http://issuu.com/thesetonian/docs/issue_11-11_13_2014/0

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded