"Heartthrob" beats for all
The Canadian-born twin sisters Tegan and Sara released their 7th full-length studio album, "Heartthrob," on Jan. 29.
Their catalogue of music up until this release remained popular for the very reason of their unpopularity. The terms "coffee house" and "thrift store flannel" have indubitably become synonymous with their indie sound. Their ability to capture the essence of the avant-garde allowed the listener a universal truth; if good music is hard to find than good music that is also popular is nearly impossible to. But, their newest album, produced by Greg Kurkin, nudges them closer to the mass public appeal they've always deserved.
"Heartthrob," comprised of 10 three to four minute songs twisting into synth-pop, rings high in the romantic energy staying true to its name. The synth-heavy songs, bright and positive and encased in a major key, are exciting and emotional all at once. Although this is their first real delve into the world of punch beats, hooks and synths, they've succeeded at catering towards a multitude of fans.
The maturity of the song writing on the album is transparent. This allows for an evolved simplicity that only a band of age could achieve. Appealing to the masses while staying true to their idiosyncratic nature proves a great feat of pop music being rendered artistically.
How often is there music that satisfies both the radio and the niche population? If Tegan and Sara set out to bridge these two worlds, they triumphantly succeeded. The album has the potential to spill out radio hits and rise to the top of the charts.
Benjamin Rader can be reached at Benjamin.email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Shelbey Manthorpe named to All-Big East Preseason Team, Pirates Picked Sixth
- Stainton Pleased with WSOC’s Chemistry, Looking for Offensive...
- Nine Invitationals fill Seton Hall Cross Country’s Fall Slate
- Auda Moving on From Seton Hall to Play for Polish Team, Edwin to Play in Italy
- Seton Hall Volleyball Releases Home Heavy 2014-Schedule
- Breaking Down the Decision: Lebron’s Return to a City in Need
- LeBron's Maturity Could Be Key Piece to Return to Cleveland
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...