"Heartthrob" beats for all
The Canadian-born twin sisters Tegan and Sara released their 7th full-length studio album, "Heartthrob," on Jan. 29.
Their catalogue of music up until this release remained popular for the very reason of their unpopularity. The terms "coffee house" and "thrift store flannel" have indubitably become synonymous with their indie sound. Their ability to capture the essence of the avant-garde allowed the listener a universal truth; if good music is hard to find than good music that is also popular is nearly impossible to. But, their newest album, produced by Greg Kurkin, nudges them closer to the mass public appeal they've always deserved.
"Heartthrob," comprised of 10 three to four minute songs twisting into synth-pop, rings high in the romantic energy staying true to its name. The synth-heavy songs, bright and positive and encased in a major key, are exciting and emotional all at once. Although this is their first real delve into the world of punch beats, hooks and synths, they've succeeded at catering towards a multitude of fans.
The maturity of the song writing on the album is transparent. This allows for an evolved simplicity that only a band of age could achieve. Appealing to the masses while staying true to their idiosyncratic nature proves a great feat of pop music being rendered artistically.
How often is there music that satisfies both the radio and the niche population? If Tegan and Sara set out to bridge these two worlds, they triumphantly succeeded. The album has the potential to spill out radio hits and rise to the top of the charts.
Benjamin Rader can be reached at Benjamin.email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Strong start to second half helps Seton Hall MBB hold off Nevada in Paradise Jam
- Nobel laureate praises and criticizes U.S. ebola aid
- 7 things we are thankful for
- Alpha Chi Rho officially recognized
- Millennials not cheap, just unemployed
- Student group work essential for professional education
- Keep your grades up and spirits high for end of semester
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge