"Heartthrob" beats for all
The Canadian-born twin sisters Tegan and Sara released their 7th full-length studio album, "Heartthrob," on Jan. 29.
Their catalogue of music up until this release remained popular for the very reason of their unpopularity. The terms "coffee house" and "thrift store flannel" have indubitably become synonymous with their indie sound. Their ability to capture the essence of the avant-garde allowed the listener a universal truth; if good music is hard to find than good music that is also popular is nearly impossible to. But, their newest album, produced by Greg Kurkin, nudges them closer to the mass public appeal they've always deserved.
"Heartthrob," comprised of 10 three to four minute songs twisting into synth-pop, rings high in the romantic energy staying true to its name. The synth-heavy songs, bright and positive and encased in a major key, are exciting and emotional all at once. Although this is their first real delve into the world of punch beats, hooks and synths, they've succeeded at catering towards a multitude of fans.
The maturity of the song writing on the album is transparent. This allows for an evolved simplicity that only a band of age could achieve. Appealing to the masses while staying true to their idiosyncratic nature proves a great feat of pop music being rendered artistically.
How often is there music that satisfies both the radio and the niche population? If Tegan and Sara set out to bridge these two worlds, they triumphantly succeeded. The album has the potential to spill out radio hits and rise to the top of the charts.
Benjamin Rader can be reached at Benjamin.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership