"Heartthrob" beats for all
The Canadian-born twin sisters Tegan and Sara released their 7th full-length studio album, "Heartthrob," on Jan. 29.
Their catalogue of music up until this release remained popular for the very reason of their unpopularity. The terms "coffee house" and "thrift store flannel" have indubitably become synonymous with their indie sound. Their ability to capture the essence of the avant-garde allowed the listener a universal truth; if good music is hard to find than good music that is also popular is nearly impossible to. But, their newest album, produced by Greg Kurkin, nudges them closer to the mass public appeal they've always deserved.
"Heartthrob," comprised of 10 three to four minute songs twisting into synth-pop, rings high in the romantic energy staying true to its name. The synth-heavy songs, bright and positive and encased in a major key, are exciting and emotional all at once. Although this is their first real delve into the world of punch beats, hooks and synths, they've succeeded at catering towards a multitude of fans.
The maturity of the song writing on the album is transparent. This allows for an evolved simplicity that only a band of age could achieve. Appealing to the masses while staying true to their idiosyncratic nature proves a great feat of pop music being rendered artistically.
How often is there music that satisfies both the radio and the niche population? If Tegan and Sara set out to bridge these two worlds, they triumphantly succeeded. The album has the potential to spill out radio hits and rise to the top of the charts.
Benjamin Rader can be reached at Benjamin.email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- The Old and the New Lead Seton Hall in Monmouth XC Kick-Off Meet
- Men’s Soccer Does Not Disappoint with 2-0 Win in Home Opener
- Men’s Soccer Team Holds On To Tie in Their Season Opener
- Comeback Win Against FGC Leads Pirates to Take Two of Three at Hurricane...
- Seton Hall Women’s Soccer Struggles Offensively, Falls to Rutgers
- Orner Chasing New Goal in Final Season
- Experienced Group Looks to Take Seton Hall Volleyball to Next Level this Fall
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care