Criminals' lessons are invaluable to students
For several years, criminals who have developed good prison records have been given the opportunity to come to Seton Hall and speak to students in criminal justice classes. While some may undoubtedly feel somewhat uneasy at the idea of having convicted criminals on campus, it is important to point out the invaluable lessons that can be generated from this kind of interaction.
Having people who have learned hard life lessons, committed crimes or made mistakes, and who are now paying the price, come to talk about their experiences is a truly invaluable education. For criminal justice students, they are able to see how the system they study works. They are able to see people who have been sent to jail, and how that experience has changed them. That is an education that cannot be found in textbooks.
The Setonian applauds those responsible for this ongoing initiative, and believes that the continuation of the experience is pivotal for students studying in the field. Regardless of what initial judgments may be about it, the program has continued to be well received by those involved.
It is evident, as is mentioned in the story on page one this week, that the inmates value the experience as well. Not only are they able to tell their stories, in the hope that they can educate young people about not making the same mistakes, they are also able to interact with students during the sessions. That can only be viewed as a positive for all involved, especially those receiving the education.
Textbooks simply are not enough sometimes. The best education comes from truly being immersed in something. These kinds of programs are exactly the kinds that should continue to thrive at SHU.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Auda Moving on From Seton Hall to Play for Polish Team, Edwin to Play in Italy
- Seton Hall Volleyball Releases Home Heavy 2014-Schedule
- Breaking Down the Decision: Lebron’s Return to a City in Need
- LeBron's Maturity Could Be Key Piece to Return to Cleveland
- Seton Hall Men’s Golf to Play in Six Tournaments This Fall
- Roster, Schedule Changes Leading Tony Bozzella to Heightened Expectations for...
- Seton Hall Alum Grilli Traded to the Angels
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?