Cafeteria changes coffee vendor
Seton Hall's dining management company, Gourmet Dining, has partnered with local coffee roasters at Coffee Afficionado to bring new flavor to the morning pick-me-up.
The University cafeteria will no longer serve Green Mountain Coffee. This year, Gourmet Dining wanted to work with an environmentally friendly coffee provider with a Rainforest Alliance certification, according to Alfred Frungillo, chairman of Gourmet Dining. Coffee Afficionado is a locally-based roasting plant in Morganville, N.J., connected to a coffee farmer seeking a Rainforest Alliance certification, he said.
"The Rainforest Alliance certification exemplifies all of the principles Gourmet Dining seeks in sourcing our food, as they work to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior," Frungillo said.
According to Adam Bossie, founder and Chief Executive Officer of Coffee Afficionado, the company buys directly from coffee farmers, raising farm profits and helping growers support their families.
As a local company, Coffee Afficionado offers new benefits to on-campus coffee-drinkers, Frungillo said. Beans are locally roasted and used within one week and all coffees are freshly ground before each brew.
Although Gourmet Dining sees the benefits, one student said he was not impressed with the changeover.
"I prefer homemade coffee because I like mine stronger than the watered-down coffee they serve us here," junior Alex Queliz said.
Bossie said the coffee's weakness comes from incorrect brewing by cafeteria staff members. The cafeteria staff is undergoing new training this week to learn proper brewing techniques.
Lindsay Ireland can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Auda Moving on From Seton Hall to Play for Polish Team, Edwin to Play in Italy
- Seton Hall Volleyball Releases Home Heavy 2014-Schedule
- Breaking Down the Decision: Lebron’s Return to a City in Need
- LeBron's Maturity Could Be Key Piece to Return to Cleveland
- Seton Hall Men’s Golf to Play in Six Tournaments This Fall
- Roster, Schedule Changes Leading Tony Bozzella to Heightened Expectations for...
- Seton Hall Alum Grilli Traded to the Angels
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit