Week honors physician assistants
Seton Hall University is highlighting the physician assistant program and its students.
"Physician Assistant Week is a time to celebrate PAs for all that they do as a valuable member of the healthcare team," Elizabeth Davison, president of the PASSSHU organization and third-year PA student said. The week began Oct. 6 with the annual White Coat ceremony.
"The faculty really appreciates this ceremony because it marks the important transition from first-year book work to field experience," said Christopher Hanifin, instructor and chairman of the PA program.
A physician assistant is a highly trained healthcare provider whose responsibilities range from diagnosing illnesses and interpreting tests assisting in surgeries and prescribing treatments.
The three-year program has trained hundreds of students with a board exam pass rate of 100 percent.
Throughout the week, the students of the program were outside of the cafeteria during lunch providing information on preventative methods that college students can relate to. Tuesday's table focused on vitamin D, calcium and bone health. On Wednesday students could learn the basics of nutrition.
Thursday, the focus will be smoking and alcohol education. The week will close with Friday's information session on hypertension that will give students the opportunity to get a free blood pressure screening.
Faculty and students said they have high hopes for the week. "We hope to raise awareness for this profession," Hanifin said. "We want people to know we are here advocating for the health of the general population."
Davidson said part of the success of the PA program is attributed to how new the profession is, and this week is about showcasing the importance of the people in this field.
"My hope for this PA Week is that more people, especially with- in the Seton Hall community, will take a few moments of their time to learn about physician assistants and the contributions they make to healthcare," Davison said.
Danielle Adamkiewicz can be reached at danielle.adamkiewicz@ student.shu.edu.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- Strong start to second half helps Seton Hall MBB hold off Nevada in Paradise Jam
- Nobel laureate praises and criticizes U.S. ebola aid
- 7 things we are thankful for
- Alpha Chi Rho officially recognized
- Millennials not cheap, just unemployed
- Student group work essential for professional education
- Keep your grades up and spirits high for end of semester
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge