Women's basketball drops 16th straight game with loss to RU
With only two games remaining, Seton Hall is still in search of their first Big East win, losing 62-39 to No. 18 Rutgers University on Tuesday night.
The Pirates were led by senior guard Jasmine Crew with 20 points, three assists, and one steal.
Sophomore guard Brittany Morris added 14 points and two steals on the game.
Head coach Anne Donovan expressed her concern after the Pirates' last game when she noted that the team puts itself "in a hole" in the first half.
With a 19-point offensive effort in the first half and a nine-point deficit at halftime, the Pirates put themselves in a deep hole from the start. The second half proved to be just as bad, as Rutgers came out of halftime and immediately launched a 21-4 scoring run run to take a 49-23 lead with just over 12 minutes to play in regulation.
The Pirates shot 90 percent from the free throw line on the night, compared to 68.8 percent on the season.
The Scarlet Knights were led by senior forward April Sykes who recorded 17 points and five rebounds.
Senior Khadijah Rushdan also added 15 points and 4 assists while junior Erica Wheeler finished with 11 points.
Rutgers forced 18 turnovers, and converted those turnovers into 31 points. The Scarlet Knights shot just 36.7 percent, while Seton Hall shot 35 percent in the loss.
Seton Hall will return to play against the University of Pittsburgh on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 2 p.m. at the Peterson Events Center.
Stephanie Vedral can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Hall gets commitment from Singh
- Baseball: Pirates drop two in double header
- SHU tennis sweeps the weekend
- Women lock up conference title after wild finish
- Pirates break losing skid behind Karlis’ hot shooting
- Women’s basketball cruises to road win over Xavier
- Prendergast stellar as Pirates collect first win
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes