She's feeling 22
Senior gives back on her birthday
Instead of being showered with gifts for her 22nd birthday a Seton Hall student decided to help the community in 22 ways on July 23.
Senior nursing major Hillary Sadlon said that she performed the 22 "random acts of kindness" in several New Jersey towns and Bethlehem, Pa. with the help of her friend Meghan Cox and boyfriend Evan Reed.
"I wanted to do something big to show that helping others has a contagious rewarding feeling that comes with it," Sadlon said. "I wanted to make a difference, even if for one day," she added.
Sadlon said they donated blood, weeded her grandmother's front yard, left a gift for the mailman, brought flowers to local nurses and brought balloons to a special education class among other good deeds.
"I wanted to do a wide range of acts," Sadlon said. "Some are pretty big like donating blood and donating animal supplies to a shelter; others are as simple as leaving pennies heads up."
She also said she got the initial idea from the social media website, Pinterest.
Sadlon said that a woman in a neighboring town was doing the same thing for her 45th birthday.
"It is so nice to see that the kindness is spreading in different areas," she said. "It makes you truly believe that a good change is occurring by helping others."
Sadlon said that she was at first hesitant and nervous about approaching people, but the results were worthwhile.
"The love I received back was overwhelming," she said.
Sadlon said that she would like to continue to "spread the kindness" on her next birthday or during the holidays.
Tiffany Do can be reached at Tiffany.Do@student.shu.edu
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!