She's feeling 22
Senior gives back on her birthday
Instead of being showered with gifts for her 22nd birthday a Seton Hall student decided to help the community in 22 ways on July 23.
Senior nursing major Hillary Sadlon said that she performed the 22 "random acts of kindness" in several New Jersey towns and Bethlehem, Pa. with the help of her friend Meghan Cox and boyfriend Evan Reed.
"I wanted to do something big to show that helping others has a contagious rewarding feeling that comes with it," Sadlon said. "I wanted to make a difference, even if for one day," she added.
Sadlon said they donated blood, weeded her grandmother's front yard, left a gift for the mailman, brought flowers to local nurses and brought balloons to a special education class among other good deeds.
"I wanted to do a wide range of acts," Sadlon said. "Some are pretty big like donating blood and donating animal supplies to a shelter; others are as simple as leaving pennies heads up."
She also said she got the initial idea from the social media website, Pinterest.
Sadlon said that a woman in a neighboring town was doing the same thing for her 45th birthday.
"It is so nice to see that the kindness is spreading in different areas," she said. "It makes you truly believe that a good change is occurring by helping others."
Sadlon said that she was at first hesitant and nervous about approaching people, but the results were worthwhile.
"The love I received back was overwhelming," she said.
Sadlon said that she would like to continue to "spread the kindness" on her next birthday or during the holidays.
Tiffany Do can be reached at Tiffany.Do@student.shu.edu
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Setonian News Articles
Recent The Setonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SETONIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SETONIAN NEWS
- Auda Moving on From Seton Hall to Play for Polish Team, Edwin to Play in Italy
- Seton Hall Volleyball Releases Home Heavy 2014-Schedule
- Breaking Down the Decision: Lebron’s Return to a City in Need
- LeBron's Maturity Could Be Key Piece to Return to Cleveland
- Seton Hall Men’s Golf to Play in Six Tournaments This Fall
- Roster, Schedule Changes Leading Tony Bozzella to Heightened Expectations for...
- Seton Hall Alum Grilli Traded to the Angels
RECENT THE SETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit