She's feeling 22
Senior gives back on her birthday
Instead of being showered with gifts for her 22nd birthday a Seton Hall student decided to help the community in 22 ways on July 23.
Senior nursing major Hillary Sadlon said that she performed the 22 "random acts of kindness" in several New Jersey towns and Bethlehem, Pa. with the help of her friend Meghan Cox and boyfriend Evan Reed.
"I wanted to do something big to show that helping others has a contagious rewarding feeling that comes with it," Sadlon said. "I wanted to make a difference, even if for one day," she added.
Sadlon said they donated blood, weeded her grandmother's front yard, left a gift for the mailman, brought flowers to local nurses and brought balloons to a special education class among other good deeds.
"I wanted to do a wide range of acts," Sadlon said. "Some are pretty big like donating blood and donating animal supplies to a shelter; others are as simple as leaving pennies heads up."
She also said she got the initial idea from the social media website, Pinterest.
Sadlon said that a woman in a neighboring town was doing the same thing for her 45th birthday.
"It is so nice to see that the kindness is spreading in different areas," she said. "It makes you truly believe that a good change is occurring by helping others."
Sadlon said that she was at first hesitant and nervous about approaching people, but the results were worthwhile.
"The love I received back was overwhelming," she said.
Sadlon said that she would like to continue to "spread the kindness" on her next birthday or during the holidays.
Tiffany Do can be reached at Tiffany.Do@student.shu.edu
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thesetonian News Articles
Recent thesetonian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THESETONIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THESETONIAN NEWS
- MBB: Mobley, Pirates handle the Peacocks
- Pirates fail to shock Wichita State, handed first loss
- Seton Hall women’s team wins crucial non-conference game
- Best Albums of 2014
- Seton Hall dominates Rutgers, stay undefeated
- SHU WBB keeps rolling, extends win streak to six
- Volleyball's historic season comes to an end after NCAA Tournament loss
RECENT THESETONIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists