Post Classifieds

Campus statues receive pirate makeover for game

By Ashley Duvall
On February 29, 2012

• The pirate statue in front of the Rec Center received the most decorations, including. Alyana Alfaro, The Setonian

In the midst of Pirate Pandemo­nium, a group of five Seton Hall students transformed various cam­pus statues into pirates.

An member of the group said that of the six statues, five were given blue bandannas and black eye patches. The group of stu­dents decorated St. Patrick statue located near Duffy Hall, the Moth­er Seton statue in front of Jubiliee Hall, the statue between Mcnulty and Corrigan and the two statues by Alferi Hall.

The sixth statue, the pirate in front of the Rec Center, was "our biggest and hardest hit," accord­ing to the student.

"We gave him a long blue cape and a white flag that read ‘LET'S GO PIRATES," she said.

Decorating the statues happened in the evening so that the group would not get caught, the student said. The process took roughly four to five hours to complete.

"In order to hit all six statues, we split up to get the smaller ones," she said. "We had planned to all hit the pirate together, so we met up again to create a game plan be­fore tackling that project.

To decorate the pirate, the group even designated an individual as the "look out," the student said.

"I don't know if the University got mad at us, but we don't think so because they didn't take them down right away," she said. "We know Securitas saw us with at least one of the statues and asked us to take it down when we were done."

All of the statues decorated were taken down at different times, the student said.

"The statues by Alferi Hall were taken down in less than a day," she said. "The rest of them were still up for the Rutgers game and into Sunday."

According to the student, most were taken down by the end of Monday.

The group said that from what they heard, students enjoyed the decorated statues.

"Apparently there are pictures on Facebook that some students have posted," she said.

Decorating the statues was a "last hoorah" for some senior in the group.

"It was a way to try to boost school spirit," the student said. "Maybe we'll inspire others to do something."

The group has decided to stay anonymous in case the University is mad or upset that the statues were decorated.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More The Setonian News Articles

Recent The Setonian News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded