SAB makes Commuter Week worth the drive

The Student Activities Board (SAB) hosted their annual Commuter Week, which consisted of a full week of programs geared towards those that commute to school.

The week included events like the International Food Truck Festival, which featured six different trucks with cuisines from across the globe, and the “BAE-GOALS” event, at which fresh bagels were served on the parking deck. They also had “TGI FRY-day,” in which SAB assembled on the Green and handed out a variety of french fries to all the students passing by.

Alison Sotolongo, director of student activities, stressed the importance of this week. She explained that the program started two years ago to show appreciation for commuter students.

Campus-Life1-10919-1024x683
Mackenzie Wetherill/Staff Photographer

“While SAB still hosts commuter-friendly events throughout the semester such as Pop Up Shops featuring DIY activities, crafts, games, photo booths and novelty foods, or larger mid-afternoon events with inflatables and attractions on the Green or Main Lounge, commuter appreciation week serves as a highlighted opportunity to reach commuters,” Sotolongo said.

Alison mentioned how SAB works to make their events accessible not only to residents but to commuters as well.

“The events during SAB’s Commuter Week are held at different times each day to reach a variety of commuter students,” Sotolongo said. “Our hope is that these events will introduce commuter students to the various events SAB plans throughout the year and encourage them to also attend our larger events on evenings and weekends.”

Kaitlyn Akroush, a freshman diplomacy major from Paramus, New Jersey, described the pros and cons of being a commuter. Akroush said that she enjoys the luxuries of home and seeing her family every day. She added that having a quiet place and her room is also a plus. Akroush also shared what she dislikes about commuting.

“My least favorite part is probably the drive,” Akroush said. “The mornings can be a little bit hectic sometimes.”

Akroush also commented on how she feels Seton Hall accommodates commuters.

“I do think Seton Hall does a good job at incorporating commuters,” Akroush said. “They host multiple activities at different times to make it accessible for everyone. They’ll even go as far as Skyping me into meetings if I can’t make it to them.”

Emma Caco, a freshman biology major from Garfield, New Jersey, said that her favorite part of commuting “is definitely going home to my own bed.”

Caco expressed interest in attending future SAB events.

Caco said, “Unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance to attend any of them this week, but hopefully I can make it to some events in the future.”

Alexander Krukar can be reached at alexander.krukar@student.shu.edu.