Health Services, College of Nursing give out free flu shots

Health Services hosted a flu shot distribution event in the University Center on Sept. 24. The event was made possible with the help of students from the College of Nursing here at Seton Hall.

20190924_163759578_iOS-1024x768
Mackenzie Wetherhill/Staff photographer

Max Dempsey, a freshman political science major who received a vaccine last week, described the process favorably. “The staff were nice; it didn’t hurt, and I only waited about 15 minutes,” Dempsey said. “Overall I think this is good for the college flu challenge.”

Students who did not have the opportunity to attend the last clinic will have another chance to at the second clinic at the College of Nursing on Oct. 10 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

According to Diane Lynch, the director of health services, around 400 students have already been vaccinated. Another motivator for students to turn out for this event is the 3rd annual NJ College Flu Challenge. “We took the championship the first year of the challenge but were edged out by TCNJ and Centenary last year,” Lynch said. “We are hopeful to regain our title this year”.

In addition to benefiting the general student body, these clinics also give valuable experience to Seton Hall’s nursing students.

Susan MacArthur, a registered nurse overseeing the event, said, “the only way that Health Services is involved is that we’re providing the vaccines to the College of Nursing.”

The real work is done by individuals like Rina Blaivas and Meghan Malagiere, who are both students in the College of Nursing. “We’ve been working in the hospital for over a year now but this is the first time we’re doing a health event,” Blaivas said.

“It’s awesome that Seton Hall is doing this because it gives access so a lot of the students can come and get their flu shot and it gives the nursing students more experience,” Malagiere added.

Lynch recommends the flu shot as the best course of preventative action against getting sick this year.

“Students are often struggling with stress, sleep challenges and may not always be eating a healthy diet. These are all things that may make them more susceptible to getting the flu,” Lynch said, “The flu shot is the best way to protect yourself from the flu. Since students spend their days and evenings in shared spaces, they are likely to be exposed to the flu.”

Meagan Ford can be reached at meagan.ford@student.shu.edu.