Pirates fight but drop four-set battle to DePaul

The Seton Hall volleyball team fell short to DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois on Saturday night in a four-set match. 

The Pirates took the first set, scoring 11 of the first 15 points. Julia Wilkins and Elizabeth Sottung both had aces in the set to put the Pirates on top. The Pirates’ largest lead was 19-8 and they ended up winning 25-16.

Throughout the second set, it was back and forth, and the score remained close until DePaul took control late in the set. The set was tied at 16 and the Pirates scored three straight points, but DePaul went on a 9-3 run to win the match 25-22. 

VBALL-10619-1024x576

Seton Hall lead the third set and were eventually up 14-10. However, DePaul went on another 6-0 run to gain the lead and remained up the rest of the set, winning 25-22. 

Trailing early in the fourth set, Seton Hall went on a 9-2 run and were up 20-19. Haylee Gasser had a kill to tie the set at 22, but DePaul closed out the match with the final three points 25-22. Amanda Rachwal had a career high 14 kills, surpassing the 300 kill milestone for her career,  and only three attack errors along with a 40 percent attack rate and two service aces in the match. Maggie Cvelbar recorded her fifth double-double of the season, making it her 20th of her career - the most of any active player.

Gasser had 12 kills and only four attack errors while freshman Raygan Murray finished with a team high 18 digs. 

Seton Hall has now an 0-2 record in Big East Conference play, and its overall record drops to 5-11. The Pirates also drop to 19-2 all-time against DePaul, bringing their five-match series win streak to an end. 

Saturday night was also the first time this season that the Pirates have lost a match after winning the first set. 

Seton Hall will return to action on Oct. 4 when it returns to Walsh Gymnasium for a Big East showdown against Providence.  Match time is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Jenna Powell can be reached at jenna.powell@student.shu.edu. Find her on Twitter @jennap0well.