Business frat builds leadership and brotherhood

Alpha Kappa Psi, the professional business fraternity, cultivates its members to be leaders as they become professionals entering the workforce and offers a brotherhood that brings life-long friends.

As a business fraternity, its aim is to develop its members into professional business leaders by teaching them skills useful in any profession.

The organization’s vision statement is, “Alpha Kappa Psi is recognized as the premier developer of principled business leaders.” The fraternity helps new members shape up their resumes and LinkedIn profiles, work on their professional communication and interview skills, improve their public speaking and effectively market themselves and their assets.

AKP-3
Photo courtesy of Nikita Tripathi
Alpha Kappa Psi helps new members build their resumes, LinkedIn profiles, professional communication and interview skills, public speaking and how to market themselves.

“The biggest benefit from becoming a new member of AKPsi on paper is definitely the professional polishing,” Alpha Kappa Psi President, Nikita Tripathi, a junior marketing major, said.

Sergio Ferreira, a senior finance and management major, said, “Alpha Kappa Psi provides you with the professional tools to help you stand out among your peers and the experiences that will propel you in the world of business.”

As an international organization that has been established for more than 115 years, the fraternity provides connections to members of the fraternity that have connections to companies and internships.

Tyana Avendano, a junior business administration major, said, “Every day, Alpha Kappa Psi teaches me something. Whether it be alumni reaching out and telling us how to prepare for job opportunities at their company or our members giving a workshop on something they learned in their corporate internship.”

Members are able to join an international network of brothers by attending a leadership conference hosted by their national headquarters in a different city each year.

“All 20 brothers in our chapter have had my back on numerous occasions, from anything as simple as grabbing me tea when I’m feeling sick or going to rescue someone whose car broke down on the highway,” Tripathi said.

Alpha Kappa Psi offers events such as panel discussions and alumni networking events, ranging from professional development to philanthropic contributions to the community. The fraternity also works with the Ivy Hill Elementary School in Newark to raise money for autism.

They also look to coordinate events with other organizations on campus such as one of their traditional events, “Profashional,” a fashion show for young people entering the workforce that they coordinate with the Fashion Club.

This school year, Alpha Kappa Psi wants to work on evolving with the current campus climate as it pushes to evolve for more inclusivity and diversity. They aim to be inclusive to everyone regardless of identity.

The Gamma Pi chapter at Seton Hall aims to build up the fraternity by being open to majors outside of the Stillman School of Business. They have started recruiting members who are studying public relations, psychology and social and behavioral sciences.

The fraternity also plans to work on establishing an annual flagship event to raise money toward the Alpha Kappa Psi Scholarship of Compass Learning Advantage. The proceeds go to an after-school program for students both with and without disabilities.

Tripathi said, “Our core values are brotherhood, knowledge, integrity, service and unity, so if any of these resonate with you, definitely consider rushing.”

Andrew Byrd can be reached at andrew.byrd@student.shu.edu.