SHU makes progess on athletic field

After a long renovation process, Owen T. Carroll Field is finally scheduled to be finished by the end of September. The renovation, which began during the spring of 2019, was the reason why the Seton Hall University baseball team had to play all their games on the road.

IMG_8804-1024x683
Grace McBride/Staff Photographer

As the process reaches its latter stages, both the women and men’s soccer teams have also had to play their first few games away from home.

However, they will not be required to play on the road for much longer, as Athletic Director, Bryan Felt, confirmed that the construction of the soccer field will be completed by the end of the month. He also said the baseball section of the stadium will be completed in December.

Felt commented on bringing the new stadium to student athletes stating, “We are constantly looking for ways to improve our athletic facilities and give our student-athletes the best resources possible to compete for Big East championships and NCAA tournament appearances.”

“Transforming Owen T. Carroll Field was a way for our department to positively impact three of our programs,” Felt said.
​Not only is the field aimed towards impacting student-athletes, but enhancing the experience of the fans as well.

“It will enhance the fan experience, giving them a space where they can comfortably enjoy watching our student-athletes compete,” Felt said.

The new stadium will include new chairback seating, new bleachers and bathroom facilities for the fans to enjoy the various sporting events.

Other additions to the field include new dugouts for the baseball field, new turf, press boxes and a brick facade around the baseball portion of the field to give it a more stadium feel to it.

Felt reiterated that the university takes pride in its facilities and being able to provide a first-class experience for its students.

​Some students on campus are also excited for the new renovations. Luca Ruggeiro, a sophomore marketing major, expressed his excitement to play intramural football on the new field, “I’m eager to be able to play on the field,” he said. I want to see what’s different about it and admire its new look.”

He then went on to mention his expectations for the turf.

“Last year, the turf was a bit rough and it made me skeptical, I really hope the new turf will be in excellent conditions for me to catch some touchdowns in intramural football,” Ruggeiro said.

Justin Tramontana, a junior political science major, expressed similar enthusiasm about the new field saying “it looks like it’s going to be really nice, I hope our teams can get some big wins on the new field.”

​Douglas Tkac, a junior majoring in sports management, mentioned his lack of enthusiasm towards the stadium.

“I don’t really go watch any of the games at the stadium, and I don’t think some renovations are going to change that,” Tkac said. “Don’t get me wrong, I hope it’s nice, but I don’t really give much importance to it.”

Jose Balderrama can be reached at jose.balderramaornelas@student.shu.edu.