CAPS institutes phone line allowing for 24/7 access to counselors

Formerly, if a student needed to contact a psychological counselor after Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) hours, they would need to contact Public Safety and ask to speak with an on-call counselor. Then, the student would have to await a call back.

CAPS-File-Photo-1024x683
File photo

This semester, however, CAPS instituted a phone line which directly connects students with a professional mental health counselor during after hours and on weekends. CAPS has always had a 24/7 resource for students, yet this semester the experience is more streamlined. Any student experiencing a psychological emergency can contact CAPS at 973-761-9500, according to a flyer from CAPS.

Dr. Dianne Aguero-Trotter, Director of CAPS, said this year students can call the CAPS main number and the student will be connected directly to a crisis counselor.

“Our services are designed to promote well-being and help students to overcome obstacles that are interfering with academic and personal goals,” Dr. Aguero-Trotter said. “CAPS is dedicated to providing services within a culturally responsive and inclusive counseling framework.”

Saveria Antonacci, a junior diplomacy and international relations major and Student Life Committee Chair of SGA said both the Student Life Committee and the Executive Committee worked with CAPS to promote this resource. According to Antonacci, this initiative was not a product of SGA’s involvement.

Antonacci said a 24/7 direct line to a counselor is beneficial for the university community as there is a need for counselors even after standard hours of operation.

“Having an easier method to contact these counselors will help students feel comfortable getting the assistance they need,” Antonacci said. “This is a resource available to all Seton Hall students, including those on the IHS campus.

According to Dr. Aguero-Trotter, CAPS provides “assessment, counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, and referral services to the entire SHU community, with offices located on all three university campuses.”

Thomas Schwartz can be reached at Thomas. Schwartz@student.shu.edu.