Pirates route Central Connecticut in season opener

Led by NC State transfer Stephen Elias with a hattrick, the Seton Hall men’s soccer team routed Central Connecticut, 6-0, in the first game of the season on Friday. The game decidedly marks the beginning of head coach Andreas Lindberg’s second season with the team. 

15 minutes into the first half, Elias seized his first goal of the game, assisted by Carlton McKenzie and JP Marin. Three minutes later, freshman Eden O’Leary added on to the Pirates lead and Marin recorded his second assist of the game.  

At the 38th minute, Andrea Borg extended the lead to 3-0 with an unassisted goal, which held until the break. 

MSOC-91919-1-1024x576

Five minutes into the second half, Elias increased the Pirates lead to 4-0. Just over 10 minytes later, Elias secured a hattrick and pulled the Pirates ahead 5-0. Freshman James Boote recorded his first assist as a Pirate on the play.  

With 10 minutes left in the game, the Pirates put the nail in the coffin as Cyrus Darvish scored. With the win, the Pirates improve their record to 37-35-9 all-time in season openers.  

The Pirates will be back in action on Sept. 6 against Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers, Florida. The game is set to start at 7 p.m.  

Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.