SHU gets groovy at Woodstock-themed carnival

On April 27, the Student Activities Board (SAB) hosted its annual Spring Fling Carnival. Inspired by the 50-year anniversary of the Woodstock festival, all the decorations, promotional items, activities and T-shirts were themed to look like vintage Woodstock during the ‘70s.

1-DSC_3465-1024x684
Despite two of the rides not functioning, students said they had a pleasant time at the carnival. Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor

Shruti Sharma, a senior marketing and psychology major, said SAB hosts Spring Fling every year a few weeks before the semester ends. He added that each year, the board tries to have a different theme to keep it fun and exciting for the student body.

3-DSC_3514-1024x684
Students could tie-dye t-shirts during the carnival. Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor

Sharma, along with Lauren Woodward, a sophomore accounting major, are campus life chairs and said they worked together to plan the entire event.

“We started planning Spring Fling in December of 2018,” Woodward said.

"It starts with brainstorming different themes and then seeing what activities we can bring to bring the theme alive. We have to start planning it early so we have enough time to make sure it is the best event we can provide.”

They both explained that it took four to five months of planning and preparing behind the scenes for the carnival. The carnival was held in the Xavier parking lot area with free rides, games, music and food for everyone.

5-DSC_3549-1024x684
Body marbling marked students arms with a mixture of colors. Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor

Live music was also performed by various students who showcased their musical talents, and provided the entire carnival with entertainment.

Sharma added that a highlight of this year’s Spring Fling was the musical lineup.

“We have a few different student musical acts performing at the carnival, similar to the actual Woodstock,” Sharma said. “We have a VW bus photo booth, tie-dying, body marbling, and local food trucks.”

8-DSC_3596-1024x684
Tim Dayton known as “Dayoff,†plays live music at the carnival. Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor

Unfortunately for many carnival goers, the popular ride “Himalaya” malfunctioned for most of the day, which made it unsafe to use. Besides this occurrence, students said the rest of the carnival was a pleasant time.

Many students embraced the Woodstock theme and showed up wearing colorful hippy outfits.

Craig Pelling, a sophomore computer science major, said he has attended both carnivals during his time at Seton Hall, and had a few words to say about his experience.

“While the carnival this year was enjoyable, I experienced it a bit differently,” he said. “Last year, the carnival had my favorite attraction, the rock wall. This year, however, the wall was nowhere to be found. I was greatly disappointed by that, and as such spent much less time there this year than last.”

Pierre La Monica can be reached at pierre.lamonica@student.shu.edu.