Stress management sessions offer relief to SHU

The Human Resources Department at Seton Hall hosted the first installment of a three-part series on stress management on April 10.

The department is hosting three sessions that deal with how to handle stress, according to the Seton Hall events page. The stress management sessions take place in the Beck Rooms A and B from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.

Stress-Management-Kiera-Alexander-1024x683
Russo said that stress management sessions provide physical techniques for employees to use. Kiera Alexander/Asst. Photography Editor

According to the Seton Hall website, these sessions will “explore techniques to initiate the body’s natural relaxation response, learn how to train your brain to rewire your stress response, and walk away with proven ways to manage stress.” It added that each session provides the participant with an opportunity to gain experiences to try stress relief on themselves.

Diane Russo, manager of training and organizational development in the human resources department, said these three stress management sessions are being offered to all SHU employees. The workshops come as part of the Cigna Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

According to the Cigna website, the Employee Assistance Program is meant to “provide participants with access to licensed clinicians who can assist with any problems or issues they’re experiencing.”

Russo also explained that this is the latest topic that the Human Resources Department will be covering through workshops. “Last year’s workshops included topics on mindfulness,” she said. “After speaking with Cigna representatives, they recommended the stress management series as a continuation of self-reflection and personal development.”

Russo said each session will provide physical activities that employees can use in their office to bring a sense of calm when stressful events are occurring. She said the first session called “Refresh, Refocus, Relax: Techniques that Work” included belly breathing, breathing meditation and square breathing.

Russo said she believes that stress has a powerful impact on one’s mental and physical well-being. She added that more stable relationships can come out of managing one’s stress properly.

Lyani Nicandro, a senior biology major, said she manages stress by getting enough sleep every night. “By putting yourself first, you are able to manage your stress more,” Nicandro said. “You have to sleep, eat, take breaks, and get a planner to manage your responsibilities appropriately.”

Nicandro said she also believes that a key to managing stress is through having the ability to say “no” to responsibilities that will unnecessarily add to your stress level.

Mikalia Morris, a junior diplomacy major, said she manages her stress by doing non-school related activities.

“I like to invest my time in creative outlets like writing poetry and painting,” Morris said. “However, I still like to hang out with my friends to relieve my stress as well.”

Students can RSVP for the following two stress management sessions in June and September by emailing HRTOD@shu.edu. The sessions will provide free lunch and an entry to a raffle if all three sessions are attended.

Elizabeth Rodriguez can be reached at elizabeth.rodriguez@student.shu.edu.