Slavic Club takes field trip to New York

Anna Kuchta, a Senior Faculty Associate in the Department of Languages Literatures and Cultures, has taken the Seton Hall Slavic Club to New York for nearly 30 years every April. Brooklyn’s premier beach offered a true Eastern European cultural representation for many of the club members.

Brighton Beach, home to the one of largest Russian communities in the Western Hemisphere, has been a great way for Seton Hall students to venture outside of school grounds, eat foods native to the region as well as reinforce their speaking abilities for an authentic real-world experience.

Slavic-Club-Photo-via-Facebook-1024x396
Brighton Beach, N.Y. which has one of the largest Russian communities in the Western Hemisphere has been a location where Seton Hall students to enjoy traditional slavic food. Photo via Facebook/@SlavicClubatSetonHall

Saveria Antonacci, a sophomore newly elected SGA Community Life Chair and Diplomacy and International Relations Major, was excited to have the experience.

“I chose to attend because I wanted to be exposed to a Russian speaking community, in order to put my language skills to practice,” said Antonacci.

“I have only attended the Slavic Club Christmas party prior to this event. I was able to try authentic Slavic food at both trips but Brighton Beach was different in that it transported me into a Russian-speaking community. For me, the most memorable part was just walking through the neighborhood, I was able to listen to people playing their accordions in the street or go into stores selling books in all Russian print. I bought myself Russian nesting dolls and window-shopped Russian posters and clothing.”

In order to go, students were responsible for paying $30, which covered the cost of transportation, food, tax and tip. About 50 students filled up the seats on a charter bus from Seton Hall and were headed to Brighton Beach.

The Slavic Club also explored the surrounding parts of Brooklyn, including Coney Island and bond as Russian language students.

One of the Slavic Club e-board members, freshman Slavic Club photographer Erin Kane, created some everlasting memories as in her first year with the club.

“I think this is a good experience because it allows individuals from varying backgrounds to learn about the Russian culture at Brighton Beach,” said Kane. “We had the chance to have a Russian Christmas party at a Russian restaurant and the two establishments were very similar in how they were decorated, presented, how food was served, etc. However, I preferred the Brighton Beach trip because I could see the Russian culture and lifestyle more and found that incredibly interesting and useful since I am minoring in Russian and Eastern European Studies. Being able to walk the boardwalk and beach while we all listened to music, laughed, and made memories is something I will never forget.”

As the rich tradition continues, next year’s trip will continue the annual retreat and seize the opportunities of a pleasant location. Not exclusive to Slavic Club members, all Seton Hall students are encouraged to attend and take advantage of the chance to visit the Big Apple from a different perspective.

Evando Thompson can be reached at evando.thompson@student.shu.edu.