Allender, Arteaga lead Pirates to extra innings win

The Seton Hall softball team defeated Providence, 5-4, in extra innings on Saturday to claim a crucial Big East series victory.

Baylee Allender proved crucial yet again in the win, going 3-for-4 with a double, homerun, two runs scored and two RBIs. Allender’s homerun was her team leading seventh of the season. Allender was also able to tie the game for the Pirates in the seventh inning, forcing extra innings.

Hailey Arteaga secured the Pirates win in the top of the eighth with an RBI single, scoring Brianna Wallace.

softball-42119-1024x683

In the win, Madison Struck pitched five strong innings, getting her second win of the series on the mound.

Seton Hall got on the board first thanks to an RBI single from Darby Pandolfo, scoring Arteaga. In the top of the third, the Pirates added to their lead when Allender doubled before scoring on Chrisa Head’s sacrifice fly.

In the bottom of the third, the Friars were able to tie the game at two.

Allender’s fifth inning solo homerun gave the Pirates a 3-2 advantage before the Friars took the lead at the bottom of the fifth. The Friars were able to capitalize on two Seton Hall errors, which allowed them to grab two unearned runs and put them up 4-3.

After Allender’s seventh inning RBI to tie the game, the fate of the game would have to be decided by extra innings. An Arteaga RBI secured the Pirates win, improving their record to 19-21 and moving them into fourth place in the Big East standings.

The Pirates will next take on Lehigh on April 24 in a doubleheader scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m.

Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.