Pirates staff combines to no-hit Iona

The Seton Hall baseball team’s pitching staff combined to throw a no-hitter in Saturday’s 7-0 win over Iona. The no-hitter was the third for the Pirates in the last four seasons.

Noah Thompson got the start on the mound for the Pirates and threw for two innings and struck out three. Tyler Burnham then entered in relief and threw 85 total pitches over the next three and two-thirds frames.

baseball-33119-1024x576

The Pirates used five pitchers throughout the game, and after Burnham’s appearance, as Nick Payero, Hunter Waldis and Sean Miller closed out the remaining three and one-thirds innings, combining for seven strikeouts and three walks.

At the plate, Seton Hall’s offense was led by Casey Dana who drove in four of the seven runs. The Pirates got on the board in the first inning with a leadoff walk from Jerry Huzinger who then advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Tyler Shedler-McAvoy. Christian Del Castillo followed up with an infield single and Dana’s single to center scored the team’s first run.

Seton Hall then added four more runs in the second after taking advantage of the Gael’s fielding errors. Dana continued to dominate and drove in two runs with a two-out single to leftfield to give the Pirates a 6-0 advantage.

Seton Hall plays Iona in the series finale on March 31 at 12 p.m.

Andrea Keppler can be reached at andrea.keppler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @keppler_andrea.