A look into the Public Relations and Marketing office

Seton Hall’s Public Relations and Marketing office (PR&M) is located at 519 South Orange Avenue. The office includes departments ranging from media relations and event staff to art and photography, as well as account management.

According to the school website, the range of responsibilities placed upon the group of directors and students who work together is aimed “to advance and strengthen the academic reputation and image of Seton Hall University among prospective and current students, staff, alumni, key opinion leaders and targeted constituencies.”

PR-students-Luke-Tyler-1024x768
Luke Tyler/Staff Photographer

Danny Guerra, a junior public relations major, said he joined the department in October. “Seeing everything that’s done on a day-to-day basis in the office is just incredible,” Guerra said.

As a recent transfer student, Guerra said joining the PR&M team was the best decision he could have made. “It’s such a welcoming environment and so nice to feel informed on what’s going on, especially in a new school,” Guerra said.

Guerra said he also works in the account management department under Linda Karten, the senior director of strategic marketing. “She’s so devoted to her work, and she shares that energy with me whenever I’m around her,” said Guerra. “Being among these people and seeing all the great work they do for the school has definitely reassured me that this is the field I want to be in.”

Juliana Arrabito, a sophomore marketing major, works on the media relations team under Laurie Pine and Michael Ricciardelli and emphasized how much she’s learned from them since starting her position in October.

Arrabito said whether it’s focusing on public outreach for Seton Hall events, highlighting the accomplishments within the SHU community or alleviating stress under hectic situations, she has learned to handle these pressing tasks with ease.

“Being around our supervisors and seeing how hard they work while also maintaining such a comfortable environment amazes me,” Arrabito said. “It makes you want to work harder and do right by them because they’re always doing right by you.”

Erin Beik, a junior marketing major, said she works within the special events department under Jennifer O’Sheal. Since starting in October, Beik said she had the opportunity to prepare for major projects and occasions within the university, the most recent being the new President’s welcoming ceremony.

“I think the coolest part about the position I’m in is that I get to see all that goes on behind the scenes for these events,” Beik said. “I would never have guessed that so much goes into what they do.”

“When something you write is sent out to legitimate organizations or posted on the school website, it’s such a rewarding feeling,” Guerra added.

All three students actively expressed their gratitude for their opportunity and admiration they had for the supervisors in charge.

“They really are unsung heroes, they do so much for the university,” Arrabito said.

Guerra added, “Working here has given me a first-hand experience to what great minds can do.”

Eilish Montgomery can be reached at eilish.montgomery@student.shu.edu.